Notices

Great lakes bad news,

Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete280
funny how the gas price is no longer the problem of the president
But our Republican governor here in Michigan did this in his new budjet : The fuel tax increases -- 14 cents per gallon for unleaded and 18 cents for diesel --
ed
Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
I have lived on Lake St Clair for more than 35 + years and have not seen the lake this low ever. Back in October I had talked that we were in for it after Hurricane Sandy blew the water out of Lake St Clair 1'+ over two days. When the storm was over the water never really came back. After reading all the latest reports I don't see it getting any better in the near future. You would think that with todays techknowledgey some management regulating the fresh water outflow of the Great Lakes could be done.
Here are a few pic's of my canal from last October, I dont think dredging if we could even get it done will help much.
1+ that storm surge from Sandy was crazy! I live on the Clinton river and normally have 1ft of water at my seawall and 5ft at the end of my dock. During that storm It was dirt almost all the way to the end of my dock I only had 1ft of water at the end of the dock. Now I still have dirt at my seawall but only about 3ft of water at the end of the dock. It was that way 3 years/winters ago when I bought this house and by spring the water level came back up.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

Hopefully this snow storm dumps a ton of it all around the great lakes region. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
Hopefully this snow storm dumps a ton of it all around the great lakes region. Fingers crossed.
From the storm we got 6+" here in Walled lake, Michigan

IMO we've had a decent winter, much better than last year. I really would not prefer to spend an extra $500-800 to extend my dock this year...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered

The Grand and Muskegon Rivers emptying into Lk Mi have had some floading from ice jams already this year. Had a good snow fall yesterday.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
rough numbers but . . . .

1 foot of snow = one inch of water

most of our water level is actually derived from "keeping it" by freeze over holding evaporation in. When we have winters that have large swings in temp keeping the water temp up, lack of freeze followed by quick drops in temp we take a big hit. As seen by the big lake effect snows we get in NE Ohio and PA. These snows are known to dump a few feet in a single day and that comes right out of the lake.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-08-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Up here in Traverse City we're at one half of the expected snowfall at this point in the winter. Also the bay is open and evaporating. Not good.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
WoW looks like I hit a nerve posting this, great read guys some of the stuff in prev post that you guys posted was pretty interesting to say the least, but as someone also noted the way gas is who knows if we will be boating, why is there no outrage?????? 4 bucks in Feb definitely spells 5 bucks mem day for the good stuff, on water who knows
Here in the San Francisco Bay area, the lowest price was $4.15 yesterday for Premium and many were way higher then that already

Thank you
Jim
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cottage in the 1000 Islands, I boat there 99% of the time. Last Fall the water levels where the lowest I have seen in 30+ years. I don't know how much it will help (but, it CAN'T hurt?) but, we have had a good chunk of snow here this year, not lake effect either. Last night and today we got POUNDED with snow, I snow blower earlier and I would say we got at least 12" and it's still snowing.

Probably won't bring levels up a lot, but, even if it stops them from dropping MORE I will consider it a small victory. I guess a lot will hinge on the summer weather. Weeks of high temps and no rain are great for being "on the water" but, it sure dries up fast.

I ALMOST liked it better when we where all worried/complaining about the Asian Carp )-:
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

we boat lake michigan , to try to get perspective, look at how big the lake is on a map about the size of illinois , put the state under 4' of water, thats a lot of water. the chain of lakes here is on an average of only 4' deep. our droght of last summer is far from over. there is empty or very low ponds everywhere . we have not had snow till this week, and little rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.