Notices

fuel use comparson

Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aasved
Mostly because I like to go full throttle everywhere and always have a few people on the boat. I also make a three day weekend out of it. In the general scope of things around this forum $250 is peanuts!
I also make a weekend out of my 100-150 bucks.. and run a genny.

But most of out stuff is 10-20 miles from the doc, and then we dont move really. maybe one trip to dinner and back to our spot.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by pstorti
If you want a fast boat but still want good mpg get a Eliminator 30 daytona and put a pair of 370hp Yanmars or 350hp Cummins, you will have a 90 mph or close to it boat that gets 4 mpg at 60 mph and close to 3mpg wide open. 1.36 drives and 32 or 34 pitch props should get you there. Doesn't have a huge cabin but there is plenty of room to sleep in there. You won't save any money but you will get great fuel economy!
I have though about the diesel thing, the problem is the cost to get set-up is so much more... you can buy a lot of for the difference in price... IMO. Also they just don't sound the same!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Fuel use comparison

Hi,

Its different as I have an outboard. 25 feet Phantom. Before twin Merc 2.5 Efi SS engines 280 hp each. 24 gallon per hrs on 4,000 rpms plus 0,75 gallon oil running 47 mph Total cost Usd 325 per hour on cruise. Now a single Verado 350 sci. 10,4 gallon at 4,000 rpm and 49 mph. No oil. Total cost per hour Usd 102. Top speed twins 86-87 mph. Top speed single 81-82 mph

Good luck!

Cheers Toffen
Old 04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Registered

Last year at D.S. I put 12 hours on my 30 foot Hallett with 525s with lots of idling in the channel and wot when out on the water and burned 220 gallons so it worked out to just about 10gal per hr per motor average but we all know what we burn when it is all wot, all of it! It also usually works out to about 1.3 mpg and my old 24 foot Carrera with a 400hp 454 averaged about 2 mpg.All of us know we can make the fuel last a while or we can burn it up depending on how we run. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukedonzi
I have though about the diesel thing, the problem is the cost to get set-up is so much more... you can buy a lot of for the difference in price... IMO. Also they just don't sound the same!
Agreed mine are in line 6's so they really don't have anything special sound wise. The newer Yanmar and Cummins are both V-8's so maybe they sound slightly better but nothing like a gas motor.

I think the only way to make it work money wise is to buy a boat that has good 525's and sell them and use the money to by the diesels.

I am really happy with mine my boat is a heavy center console with a big hardtop and loaded up for a weekend in Bimini with 6 people all the crap we need and 200 gals of fuel I still get 2.2mpg out in the ocean going 40mph! By myself in the bay I get 2.5mpg going 40. At 50 I am still getting 2mpg, boat tops out at 55 with 26p bravos and 57 with 28p, going to try some 30p for fun but they are worse on mpg even though the top end and cruise speeds are better they just make the motors work harder.

By comparison if you look at a similar boat with a pair of 300 verados, they might get 1.4mpg lightly loaded but real world is closer to 1.1mpg and the top end will be 60-62, I can run at 50mph forever you would be pushing the outboards pretty hard to do the same. On the same boat diesels are about twice as efficient as gas motors.