Notices

Crash at DS.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also the DCB driver evidently did not know his boat would climb a rooster tail right? I don't know and didn't know this about cats.. Anyway , thanks for all your inputs. I will now step down from my soap box
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
I personally can't see how you can operate a boat at 160mph on a confined body of water without a resrticted course and be in control of your vessel. It is impossible to avoid a pleasure boater, fisherman, or inner tuber and still safely correct your course without risking yourself and your passengers. Its like rearending someone in a car, you are always at fault for not having your vehicle under control.

Injury or not I'm sure the lawyers will be out.
Agreed! I know it sounds dumb but we have been a patrol boat at the St Clair races for the last five years or so. Trying to abide by the rules and keep people safely in check. It amazes me how many people don't want to listen. Some are down right beligerant (prob buzzed up) and want to argue or fight.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,163 Likes on 313 Posts

I personally can't see how you can operate a boat at 160mph on a confined body of water without a resrticted course and be in control of your vessel. It is impossible to avoid a pleasure boater, fisherman, or inner tuber and still safely correct your course without risking yourself and your passengers. Its like rearending someone in a car, you are always at fault for not having your vehicle under control.
AMEN.
Leaving the racing to the guys on the course. Wanna race? Join em!
Everytime I log on oso I lose more and more interest in poker runs.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,004 Likes on 532 Posts

Poker Runs are doomed from all angles....

1. Public won't get it that it isn't a race, someone will just point out the deaths, accidents, reported top speeds
2. Environmentalists will scream about the carbon output (fuel burn) and the damage it could do to the creatures that lurk below the surface
3. Insurance companies are going to be scarce or simply not affordable
4. Poker Run Events will price themselves out of the business with extra fees, higher prices while giving less of an experience to the participant
5. Sponsors will pull back support due to potential liability

This in turn will doom the dealers/manufacturers. Why buy a performance boat if there is nowhere to run it? I can remember big poker runs in the past that would have 5-10 brand new boats in attendance every year (usually with matching tow rigs).

Not sure how this can be fixed......while still maintaining the fun aspect.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
you are correct sir. Adreneline is a culpret of many things.. I wanted to add the whole thing to the discution because the title say's "crash at DS"

Not just about the high speed crash. There were others. I heard a father ran over his daugter because she fell off the bow of the boat. I heard she was killed. I am so sorry for the lost to there family.,. But being on the front of a moving boat is something that you just don't do . Right . Some people do not know these things
There is so much dumb **** I see every season. 15 people on a 20' bowrider with girls dancing and hanging off the bow while plowing through a no wake zone with boats all around, good example...

I know I will get flogged for this but I don't see a reason to not have a licencing program for boats. Just the ****ing basics like a motorcycle endorsement. And as you graduate to a more capable machine be certified to handle it. Kinda like flight ratings. Just cause I can fly a Mooney does not mean I can hop in a Lear and fly it...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
There is so much dumb **** I see every season. 15 people on a 20' bowrider with girls dancing and hanging off the bow while plowing through a no wake zone with boats all around, good example...

I know I will get flogged for this but I don't see a reason to not have a licencing program for boats. Just the ****ing basics like a motorcycle endorsement. And as you graduate to a more capable machine be certified to handle it. Kinda like flight ratings. Just cause I can fly a Mooney does not mean I can hop in a Lear and fly it...
Perfect example... A thread just popped up asking how to drive a 32 Spectre. Not ragging on the OP but it is as simple as going out with someone experienced in that model and gaining experience before you fill the boat and go out for the day running 100+.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Injury or not I'm sure the lawyers will be out.
It says something when are were more 150mph+ boats running together at the DS poker run, than were at the SBI race in Biloxi.

Last edited by Donzi ZX; 04-29-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
It says something when are were more 150mph+ boats running together at the DS poker run, than were at the OPA race in Biloxi.
Not sure what you are trying to say but, Biloxi was not an OPA event. Also the OPA doesn't even have a 150mph class. It is restricted to 135mph for safety.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you are trying to say but, Biloxi was not an OPA event. Also the OPA doesn't even have a 150mph class. It is restricted to 135mph for safety.
Thanks. I corrected it to SBI. What I meant is you have more boats running faster at a poker run, than we see in an actual sanctioned closed course race. Something backward there.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi zx
thanks. I corrected it to sbi. What i meant is you have more boats running faster at a poker run, than we see in an actual sanctioned closed course race. Something backward there.
+1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.