Notices

525 and cmi concerns

Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok...I guess what it boils down to is I made an offer on a boat (non stagger) with 525s. 200 +/- hours with about 60 hours on the new headers that were replaced back in 2010. Boat has been used in salt water but flushed after every use and never left in the water. This thing is in better than new condition. The owner wants to bring his mechanic on the sea trial to make sure all is good also. Should I be concerned about these motors more than I am? In all the boats I've purchased over the years I've never bothered to have a mechanical survey done seeing how I do all of my own maintenance and am some what mechanically inclined. Should I look at this differently? Looking for input.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neva satisfied
Ok...I guess what it boils down to is I made an offer on a boat (non stagger) with 525s. 200 +/- hours with about 60 hours on the new headers that were replaced back in 2010. Boat has been used in salt water but flushed after every use and never left in the water. This thing is in better than new condition. The owner wants to bring his mechanic on the sea trial to make sure all is good also. Should I be concerned about these motors more than I am? In all the boats I've purchased over the years I've never bothered to have a mechanical survey done seeing how I do all of my own maintenance and am some what mechanically inclined. Should I look at this differently? Looking for input.
You're doing exactly what you should. For what ever reason the CMI headers on these 525's crack a lot. I've replaced several sets on a 525 boat that I had and I have friends that have had to replace sets as well, more so than any other engine I've ever had, even 1000 plus horse power engines. So do your due diligence, you're not mind f@$%&ng it.