Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Went to Desert Storm for 1st time this year. >

Went to Desert Storm for 1st time this year.

Notices

Went to Desert Storm for 1st time this year.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to Desert Storm for 1st time this year.

After going to LOTO Bud Shootout for the last 4 years, I made it to Desert Storm for 1st time and was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it is still a great show but I guess I was expecting a lot more! IMO LOTO Bud Shootout is better. I was wondering if this years turn out was below normal or not. I didn't see several boats that I was expecting to see there. Did the offshore races in Mississippi effect the turn out? And I always heard how Lake Havasu is a boaters paradise BUT I thought there would be more bar and grills on the water and the food at most the places was nothing to brag about. The bars at Ozarks cater to the boaters so much more and their food is awesome!! Soo many of the bars there are set up to make you feel like you're in paradise with swim-up bars, waterfalls, beaches, etc. I always spend a week at LOTO for the shootout and IMO I would much rather spend a vacation at LOTO than Havasu any day! What do you guys think?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 68 Posts

Well you have to remember the City of Havasu is a small one located in the middle of a desert. I too have been to both multiple times and they are completely different. Loto has the better boating, but that's to be expected as Havasu is a very small lake compared to Loto. The shoot out at Loto is of course gonna be bigger more room and has been going on for 25 years. They both have their pluses, but if you appreciate Havasu for what it is then you will learn to really enjoy it. I think the street party in Havasu is much better than the one at Loto for the shoot out. I live in Nor Cal and boat on the delta, that is much more comparable to Loto and much better boating than Havasu. The one thing the delta has over Loto is its not a lake. It connects to the bay and there for also to the world if you know what I mean. They are all great places and are unique in their own way, just a matter of preference.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After growing up on Lake Minnetonka. A boater paradise . I am disapointed too. People out here don't know better. People at Lake Havi don't car if you show up or not. They could care less. back in Minne we all catered to the boating community and have a special place in our hearts for it. out here it's just different. Too many haters and knot enough lovers.. Op you are correct about havi.. Just not the same as the boating in the midwest. I am 5 hours away from that lake and decided not to go to it this year. The best part about the event is the Genuine people from around the country that show up and bring happiness to the lake.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Registered

I would love to get to LOTO one day
Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Registered

Probably not snowing at either one today as it is here!

Interesting to hear your thoughts on LOTO, have not been there yet...
Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Apples and Oranges.

Better Boating= LOTO
Cooler Backdrop= Havasu
Better place to fly into= Havasu(Vegas) vs Loto(STL)
Better bars= LOTO
Better looking deck jewelry= Havasu

Loto party cove has moved more than an Iraqi mobile missile launcher.
Havasu Channel and Sandbar remain the same.

I would NOT haul my boat from FT Laud to Havasu. I WILL haul it from Ft Laud to LOTO.

Havasu is great without a boat, LOTO not so much.

Just my 2cents. Worth about 1.2 cents since '08.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 338 Likes on 133 Posts

Both LOTO and Havasu are great, just 2 totally different surroundings and type of boats. LOTO, Offshore based boats-multi engines and of course cruisers, Havasu go fast small cats, mostly single engine.

LOTO, if you love on water boating, never having to go into town to eat, boat or bar hop, LOTO has 100+ on water restaurants/bars Thousands of places to stay on water, with slip to keep boat. Havasu, in and out every day and have to eat/stay on Land or camp out.

Eye candy, though we like our Midwest looks, well..... There is a reason there is a song: California Girls, but..... Girls Gone Wild did start here...

LOTO 80+ Miles of lake, 1500+ miles of frontage, 30K+ boats registered at the Lake, Condos, Houses, Bars Restaurants, Tree's, grass etc... Havasu, 30 miles of running, miles and miles of desert, Beaches everywhere

Shoot Out vs Desert Storm, This is my opinion: Havasu for Street party, LOTO everything else.

I Live at LOTO, used to live in Havasu area. I personally like the Midwest atmosphere, but I'm from the Midwest originally.

Which to visit, both, and it will be the time of your life both places, just different.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Registered

Damn, didn't realize what I was missing at LOTO. Why haven't I been there?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would NOT haul my boat from FT Laud to Havasu. I WILL haul it from Ft Laud to LOTO.

You don't haul a kayak. Just flip it on the roof of your moms Camry
Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cash Bar

Wait a minute...you finally bought a boat???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.