Notices

New guy: Looking for advice, opinions, comments, direction

Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IROCDave
http://miami.en.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/3762873497.html

Dont limit your search area, it can be worth making a road trip for the right boat at the right price.
Thatis a sweet find!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Reid,

welcome to the community of a great hobby!

my .02, I love our 28ZX that we have owned for 5 years now. while our layout is different than the one you are looking at, the hull is similar with the twin steps. this is one of the most fuel efficient twin engine boats in its class. that being said, if you are a partier/drinker and plan on doing some overnights on the boat, it sucks because the head is under the bed, which means you have to dismantle yer bed if your women doesnt want to dip her junk in the lake and go. price is reasonable, get some magic erasures and clean the vinyl (you'll be amazed at how well those things work, just rinse as soon as you use them, don't want the bleach to ruin the stitching).

The Scarab, a great boat, nice features (seperate head), looks very clean, I highly doubt that it is as fuel efficient as the Donzi with the twin small blocks. Nontheless, a well built boat, clean and cared for, price seems a bit high for a '93.

good luck in your search. not sure how small your previous boats were, but I am a fan of twin engine boats for many reasons that some will dispute/some will support.

tom
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
Talked to the owner of that 33ZX over the winter, really nice guy. I love the red color scheme on the ZX and cant stop staring at the pics of that boat.
One thing I cant understand is that boat has 540ci 650hp motors in it and he told me the fastest it has seen is 78mph....wrong props?......that just doesn't sound right. I would think that boat should run mid 80's. There is a 33 Daytona poker run here in the burgh with merc 600sc's that runs 87 on flat water.

I think the 31 Scarabs are a great boat for the money but the one here in the thread seems priced really high. I bought a 91 Scarab 31 over the winter and if I thought I could get anywhere close to that for it I would sell it and go after that 33zx
Old 05-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tom.

I had an older 18' sea and currently a Bayliner 21'. I use the magic eraser on my Capri now and they are amazing. I have set up to test drive both boats this weekend...the Donzi on Saturday and the Scarab on Sunday. I guess we will see what happens.

We don't do much cruising...we typically put in and find a beach within a couple miles and park for the day so fuel efficiency is not a huge concern for me. We will do mostly day boating, but would like to start getting into more overnighters. I think the Scarab would be a little better for that.

What do you think would be a fair price of a Scarab of that vintage?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1993...0199073/Values

Click on the link i attached. I don't know all the options or if this is a Thunder, so you can modify the search on this site. Average retail shows 25k. there is definitely something to be said for the care the Scarab received.

Because you are looking to do the dayboating thing, my best advice (just remember, advice is worth what ya paid for it....and I aint chargin ya nothin ) is to make sure you have a nice big comfortable sun pad! My wife and I (+ friends) love goin to our sandbar and hangin out on our sun pad and laying out.

Good luck Reid, Hope this helps!

tom
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Registered

Thanks.

With the options on the boat it books at just about $34k...I assume NADA does not include a trailer in the pricing so that would add maybe $4k...so $38k maybe?

The boat does not have an hour meter either so I have no idea how much time is on the boat/motors/drives. This makes me a little nervous. Last thing I want is to blow $40k on a boat and then be doing a $5k rebuild mid summer.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Registered

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1999...0057843/Values

did one for the donzi too. again, don't know all the options, but threw on a cover just like i did for the Scarab. NADA shows 30k

yes, the NADA does not show anything for the trailer, I suppose 4k is reasonable.

tom

Last edited by FISHIN SUCKS; 05-14-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dandercam1
Talked to the owner of that 33ZX over the winter, really nice guy. I love the red color scheme on the ZX and cant stop staring at the pics of that boat.
One thing I cant understand is that boat has 540ci 650hp motors in it and he told me the fastest it has seen is 78mph....wrong props?......that just doesn't sound right. I would think that boat should run mid 80's. There is a 33 Daytona poker run here in the burgh with merc 600sc's that runs 87 on flat water.

I think the 31 Scarabs are a great boat for the money but the one here in the thread seems priced really high. I bought a 91 Scarab 31 over the winter and if I thought I could get anywhere close to that for it I would sell it and go after that 33zx
defiantly propped wrong or he is off on the hp I have the 500 efi's and am running hi 70's all day and low 80's on a prefect day got 82 once last year.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IROCDave
http://miami.en.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/3762873497.html

Dont limit your search area, it can be worth making a road trip for the right boat at the right price.
I've been talking with this guy all morning. Love the boat, but fml, its going to cost me $8k to get it here...ugh.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Registered

About 3K miles down at 18 MPG = 166 gallons of diesel x 4.25 = 705.88. 3K miles back at 12 MPG = 250 gallons of diesel x 4.25 = 1062.5. $1768 plus a week off from work and another couple of grand for hotel rooms and food. Sounds like an awesome road trip.

See if the guy will work with you, meet halfway? Pay for a portion of the shipping?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.