Notices

Uh oh...hope no one was hurt.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Amazing how strong those bow eyes are.
I am more surprised at the strength of the tow rope! A number of years back we were towed in by the Racine cops...they tried to get a 30' scarab on plane cause they were in a hurry.....hooked it to the bow eye and then to a "T" bar on the back deck of the cops boat.....one of the cops were sitting 3' from it look back at us.....as the driver starts putting the sticks down...I can almost feel the rope stretch. I tell my passengers to get below the windshield incase the rope breaks.....not 2 min later it lets loose and recoils back at the cop boat....missed the cop by about 4' to his right and dented the cabin on the other side of him where it hit! Would have been nasty!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out this tow /recovery rope. rated for 74,000 pds Heavy-Duty Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope (KERR) : Breaking Strength: 74,000 lbs. : Bubba Rope
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hate to see that happen, glad everyone was ok.

Great vid of the recovery though, very cool method.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Hey Redbud, it wasn't me! Was at Cumberland for the weekend all is well.
Good to hear Gary.... when I first saw the video thought it was yours!!

Glad everyone is safe and boats can be fixed!!!

Pat
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
I am more surprised at the strength of the tow rope! A number of years back we were towed in by the Racine cops...they tried to get a 30' scarab on plane cause they were in a hurry.....hooked it to the bow eye and then to a "T" bar on the back deck of the cops boat.....one of the cops were sitting 3' from it look back at us.....as the driver starts putting the sticks down...I can almost feel the rope stretch. I tell my passengers to get below the windshield incase the rope breaks.....not 2 min later it lets loose and recoils back at the cop boat....missed the cop by about 4' to his right and dented the cabin on the other side of him where it hit! Would have been nasty!!

When I used to work on yachts in florida we towed a 38ft hard bottom inflatable that was about 12000lbs when loaded with fuel. We used over inch thick spectra line. that stuff is crazy strong. Towed that boat crashing through 8-10 footers crashing through, I cannot imagine the amount of stress on that line.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 563 Posts

yeah...these two brainiacs were using a common dock line rope.....maybe 3/4" thick! I knew it was gonna snap...I just didn't want to be on the receiving end of it!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thx Pat. I've seen this boat at Lake Cumberland before and loved it. Think it's a 2006 w/525's. Kinda weird seeing the video, from this view boats look similar.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Race speeds, race prepped, race conditions...

But worth the watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Y3IBxTKrs Yes, it's an Outerlimits--not a bash; just an example.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 981 Likes on 524 Posts

A state agency is investigating four island-goers who capsized a speedboat Sunday near Kelleys Island.

Click here for a related article and watch a video of the salvage in the player below.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Watercraft and U.S. Coast Guard responded to the scene after receiving a call at about 5 p.m. Sunday, said petty officer Adam Frey of U.S. Coast Guard Sector Detroit.

When the agencies arrived, they found a "good Samaritan" had already rescued four uninjured individuals from the water, Frey said. The group and the 39-foot boat they overturned was located about 1/4 mile south of Kelleys Island.

[I]"The story our boat got was they were maneuvering at too high of speeds and lost control," he said[/I].Kelleys Island police stood by at the scene, officer Jack Wade said. They did not complete a police report about the incident because "there was nothing to do a report about," he said.

One individual complained of neck injuries at the scene but declined medical treatment.

Jason Albanese, an investigator with the Division of Watercraft, is still investigating the incident. It is unknown at this time if alcohol was a factor in the capsizing or if the division will file any charges.

"We're still looking into the whole incident and trying to determine what happened," Albanese said.

Lake Erie Towing of Tow Boat U.S. recovered the boat, which did not sink.

ODNR trying to determine why boat sank | Sandusky Register

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.