Notices

Jacksonville and FPBC

Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacksonville and FPBC

This past weekend I was fortunate to be involved with FPBC on the 12th annual Jacksonville Poker Run. The weather was fantastic and many boaters traveled long distances to come and take part in this annual charity poker run. What is truly amazing is that Stu Jones and the poker runners raised a record $22,000 for Camp Amigo burn camp which helps children and youths attend camp with the firefighters and other volunteers.These children are recovering from the trauma of serious, often life threating burns. As a retired firefighter from Jacksonville, this charity is very close to my heart and FPC graciously accepted this charity as the beneficiary of this poker run when I decided to step back as the organizer a couple of years ago. I stay closely involved with Stu and do what I can to help FPBC with this event for charity. Also, my good friend and retired police officer Capt. Jim Suber remains the safety officer for this event, as well as being the waterways coordinator for Jacksonville.

I have been reading all the chatter on the web over the recent weeks leading up to the run and really feel the negative comments were unnecessary. Some of it may have been related to event fees, but if you add up everything the FPBC does for the boaters and the charity, it is a good value. FPC even offered a locals discount to the boaters from Jacksonville to come and take part in the event.

The safety presence for this event was outstanding with at least 8 safety boats on the course. I personally assisted with my boat. There were 2 fire rescue diver paramedics on board, and a second boat on the course with 2 more paid paramedics on board. All this was done for the safety of the boats running in the poker run. With all the safety and law enforcement boats everywhere I'm sure the boaters felt welcome and safe.

Sure the attendance was down for a variety of reasons, but for those who took part, I am certain they will tell others they had a wonderful time. At the Saturday night party Stu took the stage during dinner and reached into the hearts of the participants and the FPC members with results that speaks for itself. I want to personally thank everyone who supported the cause, especially Jim Lee, John Woodruff , George Argyros, anonymous donor and Mark and Eileen Fischer from OFFLEASEONLY.com who matched all the donations made by others. This was just an incredible result for Camp Amigo.

Most importantly, Stu and Jackie Jones and all the FPBC are just first class people to work with. Not only are they dedicated to keeping the boating exciting, safe and fun they really stepped up to the plate for fund raising for the local charity. It is time for the negative chatter to stop and start recognizing that this group really delivers. This poker run helps our local tourism by putting Jacksonville on the map as a great boating destination through all the TV and magazine coverage. This poker run really helps out a lot of kids who really deserve and need the support of this group of boaters that they normally would not receive.

Bill Pyburn, Sr.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Registered

See you next year at the 14th Jacksonville Poker Run
Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well said and great to here how much money Stu and Jackie raised for the kids,
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 402 Likes on 128 Posts

It's good to hear that the charity did not suffer due to a low turn out. I miss going to this event, it is one of my favorites! I will attend this event in the future.

Thank you Bill Sr., Bill Jr., and FPC for making this a great event.

Last edited by WARPARTY36; 06-03-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always have fun at this run. Its a great run that that is run great. Bill, Kevin, Stu and the gang do an amazing job!!!!
For the last two years the date had made us not able to attend. I sure hope we can make it next year.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Thanks for the update Bill. Glad the attendees gave with their hearts and made the event a huge success for the charity.

The date changes have had an impact for me but maybe I can add this event again next year.

Kudos to you and the team for making it matter.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously, not one picture of this event? How many boats were there?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Registered

you know all they will show is pp and mti's and maybe one other boat! ha ha
Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 PM
FPC Events
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Seriously, not one picture of this event? How many boats were there?
I took a bunch of pictures on my phone and posted on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/flpowerboat?ref=hl

The pictures from the helicopter and parties are posted on our web site.
Florida Powerboat Club Photo Gallery - Jacksonville River Rally Poker Run

I worked a half day today . So I didn't get too much done, sorry! I hope you enjoy the pictures!

AND I would like to thank all of the Florida Powerboat Club members who attended the Jacksonville Poker Run. I had a great weekend with everyone! The $22,000 we raised for Camp Amigo was thanks to the incredible generosity of some very special people. The beautiful children who attend this summer camp will have a great time and the money we raised for them will help with something...

Wishing everyone a great summer!

See ya soon,

Jackie
Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered

Pure Platinum out accelerating the field at the start of the Jacksonville poker run
Jacksonville River Rally - 2013 - YouTube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.