Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone with info on early to mid 80s 41' with diesel power? >

Anyone with info on early to mid 80s 41' with diesel power?

Notices

Anyone with info on early to mid 80s 41' with diesel power?

Old 08-01-2002, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

MY friend ended up not going to see the 41. Maybe worth a look for you . I have to find out where it is exactly .I think either south carolina or Georgia . 1986 .41 cig ,3208 cats , have brass shavings in oil . Was told no big deal ! Was told they have a brass gear in engine that wears ??? Also suposed to have a bulkhead or something with a problem .maybe water damage . Asking around $40k ..... If you want to know where I'll find out . JOE [email protected]
Old 08-01-2002, 11:53 PM
JGB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Joe,

Thanks for the info. Is ithere a description online? The engines are not as big a deal for me as i 'd rather find a boat with no power to put virgin power in. What kind of drives? But that would be i find a hull in good condition. I am not a guy that is familiar with glass work so i wouldn't even know how to discount that. Is fixing a bulkhead big bucks? I am assuming the boat wouldneed to be taken apart unless the problem bulkhead was in the engine compartment.

I thought i saw a 1981 listed for sale for 60K in south carolina. sounds like the same boat. I think the 81s have a different deck style than the 86-87s. I haven't seen a real good pic of the 81s. I really like the styling on the 86s.

Would you know anything about doing diesels with a 39 ocean/express cat? Would you be able to throw out a ballpark estimation of perfromance with the 465yanmars with arnesons?

thanks

james
Old 08-01-2002, 11:55 PM
JGB
Registered

here is what i saw

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/cgi...Now+&nh=5&mh=1
Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

JGB

Still trying on the pics, of course my file is too big. I should have had it done by now but I keep spending my limited OSO time reading the Apache thread. Saturday should be the day.

Brownie any info on the background on the 41 and I am also interested if there are any of the 35' w/diesels still out there and how they performed. I really appreciate you sharing your expertise and experience on this board. I always wondered why the diesels seemingly stopped there evolution in the US with the exception of Magnum and the Europeans continued to this day. Any insight would be appreciated.

John
Old 08-02-2002, 12:49 PM
JGB
Registered

No problem it has been very easy to be distracted by the apache thread. i check that thread a few times a day to keep up with it.

Thanks again for those pics, would love to see some exterior shots different from the boat trader ad. Keep the pics coming and file size is not important to me. but it might take some time for the emails to be delivered.

I hope this thread will help you sell your boat though i wish i could be the buyer!

James
Old 08-03-2002, 01:48 PM
JGB
Registered

The weather stinks today!

TTT
Old 08-05-2002, 02:03 PM
JGB
Registered

TTT one last time, thanks
Old 08-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Registered

Hi JGB,
Hope you find what you are looking for. I'm dreaming of something similar to you. I suggest reading the Boating Mag article. I will only further convince you that diesel is cool.

I'd like to start with a 27-29 foot boat and put in a single Cummins 5.9 diesel. These motors are very hot-rodable. You can easily get 400+ hp out of them and you can find them fairly cheap. Them make marine one and they also use the same motor in Dodge Rams. I figure I could make a 65 mph boat that can cruise at 60 all day.

If you are curious what can be done with these, check out http://www.turbodieselregistry.com/ . It's geared toward Dodge truck owners but all the performance tips are universal.

Some day...