Notices

21 Challenger People

Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 21 Challenger People

T2X is exactly right about the Superboat and the Intimidator, for what it is worth, I think the Intimidator is the better package due to it's more resonable pricing.

There are some copies that are infact better than the original, both in construction method and hardware, but for it's vintage the Challenger 21 was VERY VERY well built.
But those that care and take pride in there product, use both better materials and techniques then were avaliable 30 years ago.

RT
Old 11-28-2006, 04:29 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BradH
Not sure, haven't done much more than just looked around over there.

Anybody know if a center console was ever made from this hull?
There was a Challenger CC for sale over at S&F awhile back.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...ght=Challenger
Old 11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice history lesson!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will sell the 21 Apache scout molds or even build hull and decks if anyone is interested.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
Here is a 1977, recently restored. It was one of the 3 all black one's built for Mercury. It was a classic case of lost in a barn with no names or numbers on it.
We are now helping a customer restore a very rare I/O verion... Gerge, do you remember a small block, brown sides with a cream coloured deck, and all teak hatch, left hand streer that went to Canada?
This boat looks awesome. There is something about that motor though hanging off the back.. Doesnt look "mean" enough. Its interesting George has a 300 on his now, and not a 2.5
Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Superboat has an original set of Challenger molds and therefore makes the closest Challenger derivative. However the construction is much lighter, and the interior and hardware is much cheaper. The rough water ride characteristics are also very different in that the Challengers were built (and felt) like solid steel..... In addition the deck mold has become unuseable and SB makes no original 21's at this time. The fastest SB belongs to Joey Imprescia at 104+ with a single 300X

The original Shadow molds are currently used to build the Intimidator hulls, and therefore they are the closest Shadow derivative. Intimidator has modified the deck a little. This hull has proven to be the fastest that I've seen.... 106+ with a single 300X.

Neither the original Challengers nor Shadows could run the speeds shown due to weight (probably 400 #'s heavier)......But... fit, finish, hardware, and ride was far superior.

T2x
Thats cool. How fast would it be with twin 2.5's?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Sorry,my mistake. BTW,I was only referring to boat #1 that went to the PB trials.After that Don Brooks made some slight bottom and rigging mods and susequent 38's were fine runners. Friend of mine had one for years,sold it last year. Looked a lot like your graphics. Did yours come from Bham,AL?
Yes, mine came from Birmingham (via Weatherford, TX?). It's probably the same boat. We really like it, works great for our choppy Galveston Bay. Got a smokin' deal on it, and it's like new. The vinyl colors are a little dated, but I can live with it for now...

Jim
Attached Thumbnails 21 Challenger People-img_0154.jpg  

Last edited by bglz42; 11-29-2006 at 08:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Xcal24 (08-19-2022)
Old 11-29-2006, 09:33 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveFun
Thats cool. How fast would it be with twin 2.5's?
I'm not sure..... probably 110+.... But there is definitely a limit.... and these speeds passed the common sense threshold years ago. I've seen these boats run and they can only exceed 80 or so in absolute calm water.

T2x
Old 11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

T2x, that Red Challenger I had, originally had twin CCC Johnrudes on it and went 111 with Merc MC1 speedmasters retrofitted to fit.... back in 1981. I am sure there is more, that particular boat had the aerated bottom and generated a lot more stern lift. As such it ran a lot flatter than the straight bottom Challenger I had. I am sure today with the motors off Driftin' more is there.

RT
Old 11-29-2006, 04:29 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RBT
T2x, that Red Challenger I had, originally had twin CCC Johnrudes on it and went 111 with Merc MC1 speedmasters retrofitted to fit.... back in 1981. I am sure there is more, that particular boat had the aerated bottom and generated a lot more stern lift. As such it ran a lot flatter than the straight bottom Challenger I had. I am sure today with the motors off Driftin' more is there.

RT
That's interesting in that we have one of 5 1981 Step bottomed (That's right folks...1981 ..... before Hustler or Fountain even existed) Shadows in Joey's shop now...and the owner is putting dual 2.5's on it (old style)... Speedmasters, as you know, change the whole equation ...and outboard speedmasters (much smaller than your MC1's) really increase handling and manners at speed...Unfortunately this guy has a limited budget...20" engines..... and stock gearcases. The twins always ran much flatter than the singles but it will be interesting to see what the step does or doesn't add to the equation.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 11-29-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 21 Challenger People

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.