Introduction - noob to boats

Notices

Introduction - noob to boats

Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction - noob to boats

Greets,

Name's Tony, new on the board, basically new to boating. Bug just bit me like a 200lb yellowjacket.

Live in SoFla - Pembroke Pines, to be exact, and work near the Miami airport.

I'll be hitting you folks up for info, and hopefully you won't get sick of the questions!

Workwise, I'm in IT for a cruise line, supporting IT onboard the ships (but I'm not crew) from the Miami office.

Hobbies are old computers, EV cars (drive a 2013 Volt), metalworking.

Cheers, and thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 826 Likes on 386 Posts

Welcome.

Lot of knowledge here - ask away............
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to OSO as a new member!

Can't tell you much about OSO that you don't already know. Welcome again.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Soooo what kind of boat are you going to get?? (or already have) if you buy, be sure to have one of our profesional's check it out first, There is Not a more Bitter experience than buy a POS for your first boat.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Registered

None yet. And yes, I'll be smart about it.

Made a mistake a long time ago, that a person tends to carry with them.

Had a hair up my backside that I wanted a Porsche 914. Looked at one - AT NIGHT - and bought it. Next day, realized what a mistake I had made.
The low-point, was one day me driving home in a nasty downpour, and since the wipers didn't work, half my torso was sticking out the drivers window so i could see.

If it wasn't for my finding a heck of a deal on a Mazda Miata the dealer thought needed a repaint, but only needed a buff +polish, I woulda' been sunk.

I'm not a wealthy person, so I gotta start a little small and work my way up. And I say that without malice: I think it's pretty useless for a person to be whining about what others have and they don't, rather than using the expended energy to improve what they do have.

Funny you should ask... I grew up around my uncle's Donzis, so I'm kinda' partial there...

I'd like something I can go into the ocean with, and not just lakes, so I guess 21-25'? Pre-owned, obviously...

Was hoping once folks get to know me, mebbe I can get a ride here and there on different boats in my category, that are affordable for me, down here in SoFla area.

Things that have captured my eye, are the Active Thunder Tantrum 25, Donzi Classic 22, Baja 25's.
I absolutely love the look of the AT 25.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

welcome ! the 25 AT is an awesome boat , mine may be for sale towards the end of boating season . there are a few more Tantrums out there for sale for decent prices .
Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels
None yet. And yes, I'll be smart about it.

Made a mistake a long time ago, that a person tends to carry with them.

Had a hair up my backside that I wanted a Porsche 914. Looked at one - AT NIGHT - and bought it. Next day, realized what a mistake I had made.
The low-point, was one day me driving home in a nasty downpour, and since the wipers didn't work, half my torso was sticking out the drivers window so i could see.

If it wasn't for my finding a heck of a deal on a Mazda Miata the dealer thought needed a repaint, but only needed a buff +polish, I woulda' been sunk.

I'm not a wealthy person, so I gotta start a little small and work my way up. And I say that without malice: I think it's pretty useless for a person to be whining about what others have and they don't, rather than using the expended energy to improve what they do have.

Funny you should ask... I grew up around my uncle's Donzis, so I'm kinda' partial there...

I'd like something I can go into the ocean with, and not just lakes, so I guess 21-25'? Pre-owned, obviously...

Was hoping once folks get to know me, mebbe I can get a ride here and there on different boats in my category, that are affordable for me, down here in SoFla area.

Things that have captured my eye, are the Active Thunder Tantrum 25, Donzi Classic 22, Baja 25's.
I absolutely love the look of the AT 25.
1st off welcome to oso I haven't been here as long as some of the other guys but everyone here is nice and there is a boat load ( pun intended ) of Info to be found on the site if you want to venture to far offshore I would highly recommend twins so if something goes wrong out there you can get home sonics are great rough water boats and there's plenty out there at good prices
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with twins. Peace of mind is excellent. Plenty of fairly priced 26ft+ boats. Some small block some big block. Plus for conditions you'll find I wouldn't want any smaller than a 25. Bigger is better. I run the gulf in my 27 formula and she does terrific.