Notices

Annoying anchor!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
why walk on the bow with the anchor? that is something that should never be done,,

why not drop it ,,dont throw it but drop it on the side of the cockpit area and reverse the boat while releasing more line??works great,,

most manufactures do not have anchor lockers because they spider crack the hull from the anchor bouncing around..
Because I always anchor off bow and set it myself. I don't throw my anchor. That should never be done. Lower anchor where you want to anchor feed out line tie off.

Rather not risk chain and anchor hitting side of boat. I put towel on bow set anchor on towel then jump up and carry all of it. Off bow it has minimal chance of hitting hull.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run a collapsable box anchor and bought the Dana marine anchor bag. It holds 150' of line, the anchor my small stern anchor and it's line. Then i got one of those ratcheting alligator clips and clip the bag with the remaining line still in the bag to the bow rail trough the handles on the bag. That way the girlfriend can walk on the bow carrying the bag not the anchor and rope. Also the box anchor you don't need a chain. It works pretty well and you it sets almost immediately.

Last edited by mickeymcclgn; 06-26-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Because I always anchor off bow and set it myself. I don't throw my anchor. That should never be done. Lower anchor where you want to anchor feed out line tie off.

Rather not risk chain and anchor hitting side of boat. I put towel on bow set anchor on towel then jump up and carry all of it. Off bow it has minimal chance of hitting hull.
I guess we all have our own way of doing things,,as long as it works thats all that counts..

I anchor off bow and set it my self as well,,I drop the anchor off the side with my arm extended so I dont hit the side of the boat,,reverse the boat while releasing line,,when Iam where I want to be I then tie off on the side cleat then I walk on the bow grab the line and tie it of the bow cleat..
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I guess we all have our own way of doing things,,as long as it works thats all that counts..

I anchor off bow and set it my self as well,,I drop the anchor off the side with my arm extended so I dont hit the side of the boat,,reverse the boat while releasing line,,when Iam where I want to be I then tie off on the side cleat then I walk on the bow grab the line and tie it of the bow cleat..

It'll be a lot easier once I buy a 42 fountain with the locker in the bow!! Lol
Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atisvt99
This is perfect timing for this thread... and while not 100% on topic, it is anchor related: For those of you with anchor boxes up front, what are do you put in there to keep the anchor from bouncing around and to maybe absorb and help dissipate some of the water from the line? I just cleaned out my bow-anchor box last week and threw out this old, crusty, brittle blanket that looks like it had been used in a graveyard for many years. I need to put something back in there so that the anchor doesn't bounce around too much as 'boatnt' mentioned above...

I also need to get some plastic wrapped chain... my chain is just the bare metal and scares me when coming close to the rub rail on the way up.

thanks,

- justin
In one of my previous boats I lined the locker with car floor mats.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Great info and ideas. Thanks guys!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Maybe someday I will be able to get a newer fountain with a built in box. Till then, I'm just gonna have to deal with it.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

On our old 27' Fountain with anchor locker, I used one of those thick, rubber door mats with the open weave design. It allowed water to flow through to the anchor drain, and cushioned the blow of the anchor in rough water. I think we found it at Lowes in the door mat / carpet section.

Originally Posted by atisvt99
This is perfect timing for this thread... and while not 100% on topic, it is anchor related: For those of you with anchor boxes up front, what are do you put in there to keep the anchor from bouncing around and to maybe absorb and help dissipate some of the water from the line? I just cleaned out my bow-anchor box last week and threw out this old, crusty, brittle blanket that looks like it had been used in a graveyard for many years. I need to put something back in there so that the anchor doesn't bounce around too much as 'boatnt' mentioned above...

I also need to get some plastic wrapped chain... my chain is just the bare metal and scares me when coming close to the rub rail on the way up.

thanks,

- justin
Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why walk on the bow with the anchor? that is something that should never be done,,

why not drop it ,,dont throw it but drop it on the side of the cockpit area and reverse the boat while releasing more line??works great,,
Yeah, what he said. I always drop my anchor off the side, then back up and hand the line off to a person, who I have instructed to go up front on the bow. That person then takes the line and ties it to the cleat. When time to leave, we do it in reverse... Person goes up front, and hands the line to me in the cockpit, I then walk to the swim platform and bring the anchor line in. That way I can fight with the seaweed and mud on the swim platform. Obviously wind and current conditions will dictate whether I have the luxury of walking to the swim platform. But either way, no one has ever walked on the bow with an anchor in hand.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't have a locker but keep my anchors in the front compartment (in V berth) when not in use or not going to anchor out.. otherwise, I will lay them on the floor in front.

To set, I have the wife open the hatch and lay it on the deck, then climb out to drop it.. works good and I get to watch her bend over to drop it over the front. good times!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.