Notices

Mercury Racing complaint thread poofed?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlfrob
They control OSO too ? Perhaps it's time to jump ship to a more SERIOUS site
This is tricky (like defusing a bomb) there's a couple of good choices from that outhouse. FUNDY?

If his avatar was a dialysis machine, I would say Bobcat.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-03-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
Gimme a break, Merc, and Merc Racing know they are pretty much the only show in town for the vast majority of Boat Owners and Builders... Until someone makes a SUCESSFUL run at the lower end of the market, they will continue to do pretty much whatever they want. (Volvo? yeah, right....) There are plenty of engine builders out there who cater to the guys who can spend HUGE money on BIG power engines and high dollar drives, but everyone else gets bent over. Amazing how a RACE team using Merc parts gets ignored until they raise a stink on a BBS like OSO. Merc could give a damn about 99% of it's customers. If you don't have huge resources and exposure, they could care less about the service you receive. That is a big part of why the marine industry is in the shape it is in. They will continue to funnel their resources to the 1% of customers who can afford a 1100, or 1350+, where the real, overpriced, profit is at, at the expense of everyone else. How difficult would it be for Merc to develop a 500HP black motor and a drive that would handle 750HP at a Bravo price? Not very, I'm sure they have the technology, but why would they? They can continue to rape everyone for the parts and labor on Bravos and Blue motors and laugh their way to the bank...

EDIT: Sorry, I'm sure a reply like this will get the entire thread deleted...
You speak the truth my friend , but we gotta start somewhere ... Lets see how this turns out . I wish Rik would hook up with an engine builder & show em how it should be done . I'm on your side bro
Old 08-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Registered

How is it all going to end up? Without any change. I applaud Rik, and Arneson, for providing a bulletproof drive for pretty much any application, with a reasonable price, but that still leaves the engine side of things. I can build a Bulletproof EFI 600HP engine for 25K, yet the Merc racing offerings are a minimum of TWICE that, with a weak Bravo standard or an overpriced 6 drive standard. That is total BS... As soon as the engine and drive offerings open up, so will the boating industry as a whole. It reminds me of the Motorcycle industry as a whole in the early 2000's. They charged whatever they wanted, because they could. Then the bottom fell out. There is plenty of room for a solid single engine or twin in the 24-30' range from a variety of manufacturers for $75-100K, but why would anyone build one when they can charge 300K+ for a 36' or bigger twin? Forget about exposing new owners to this wonderful sport, we can buy a friggen small bowrider,, or a giant twin powerboat, where are the big singles or twin SBC's in the 30 foot range for those of us who don't want to spend house money on a capable, yet quick, offshore powerboat?
'
Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Unfortunately I have millionaires taste on a paupers paycheck. For me to look at boats realistically they gotta be 10 or so years old. I will never go real fast because the equipment is expensive to get into and expensive to repair. I do most my own work and that alone is the only reason I can even own a boat.

Not looking for sympathy by any means just someone to challenge big bad merc with a reliable product who will stand behind it.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
How is it all going to end up? Without any change. I applaud Rik, and Arneson, for providing a bulletproof drive for pretty much any application, with a reasonable price, but that still leaves the engine side of things. I can build a Bulletproof EFI 600HP engine for 25K, yet the Merc racing offerings are a minimum of TWICE that, with a weak Bravo standard or an overpriced 6 drive standard. That is total BS... As soon as the engine and drive offerings open up, so will the boating industry as a whole. It reminds me of the Motorcycle industry as a whole in the early 2000's. They charged whatever they wanted, because they could. Then the bottom fell out. There is plenty of room for a solid single engine or twin in the 24-30' range from a variety of manufacturers for $75-100K, but why would anyone build one when they can charge 300K+ for a 36' or bigger twin? Forget about exposing new owners to this wonderful sport, we can buy a friggen small bowrider,, or a giant twin powerboat, where are the big singles or twin SBC's in the 30 foot range for those of us who don't want to spend house money on a capable, yet quick, offshore powerboat?i
'
I wish I had an answer for ya as much as I agree with what your saying . I've been an excavator with my own business for almost 25 years & look what happened to the housing market with all the greed , lost my small business now I work for someone els . I'm a working man just like you & most of us & I'm not saying all the good boat company's shouldn't make money they deserve but your right on about the ridiculou$ prices on the power packages merc monopolized on & the bad reliability of the out drives is proven time and again & that's not bashing merc . Just stating a long standing fact . Perhaps you were right on your first post about the 1 or 2 % being the only ones left to afford the sport . I wonder if their going to miss us on the water when their the only ones left out there to roost the waves ?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 880 Likes on 329 Posts

This thread is starting to be about $$ when it's the service that was the issue. Whether or not a company is expensive is not the point, if it's too expensive have another engine builder build one, or go IMCO for drives, or Teague, Indy or whatever. At least there are choices. However, purchasing is just part of the equation, the other is the servicing of the product. Now if you're charged a premium price and get discount service then the problem is compounded. The OP was circle jerked by some at MR. A different OSO member who posted about being jerked by the Merc prop truck only to get serviced by Hering is another example.

Looks like Merc stepped up, but only after issues were brought to public. If the criticisms are FAIR, then maybe social media will start holding companies like this accountable now rather than being hidden in one-off incidents. Unfortunately we've seen some bogus criticisms posted in the Beware section of OSO so these things need to be approached carefully.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
This thread is starting to be about $$ when it's the service that was the issue. Whether or not a company is expensive is not the point, if it's too expensive have another engine builder build one, or go IMCO for drives, or Teague, Indy or whatever. At least there are choices. However, purchasing is just part of the equation, the other is the servicing of the product. Now if you're charged a premium price and get discount service then the problem is compounded. The OP was circle jerked by some at MR. A different OSO member who posted about being jerked by the Merc prop truck only to get serviced by Hering is another example.

Looks like Merc stepped up, but only after issues were brought to public. If the criticisms are FAIR, then maybe social media will start holding companies like this accountable now rather than being hidden in one-off incidents. Unfortunately we've seen some bogus criticisms posted in the Beware section of OSO so these things need to be approached carefully.
To me money and service go hand in hand. Look at those people with 525s on fairly new boats that grenaded a motor due to faulty headers. A premium for the product and then no help when it broke through normal use. Merc can get away with this because they generally have the market monopolized. The money really comes in when someone like myself can not afford to buy a boat and then completely redo with say ilmors and arnesons or Indy drives. I am stuck repairing merc stuff. Which they then get to gouge on parts. It's a vicious cycle that ties the 2 together.