Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall >

Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall

Notices

Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall

Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Don had pretty much retired from racing and building race boats long before he was murdered so his career was probably not "shortened" by the tragedy.

I knew Don and know Reggie and am not a blind fanatic regarding either. But give the devil his due...Reggie hung in there and did win at any and all costs... so he does deserve respect in that regard. Personally I wouldn't use the term "King" since so much of any Offshore success story rests on the technology developed by an even more competitive Icon, Carl Kiekhaefer, (and his son Fred). But Reggie is and was the most prolific winner (by boat brand) in the sport's history. On the other hand, Peter Hledin had a lot to do with developing Fountain's race boat construction technology and has been successfully building winning boats over a longer time span. Peter is a much more humble guy and shies away from aggressive self promotion (yes you can read between the lines here.)

Regarding Reggie's Tunnel boat career, he was an outstanding driver, almost as good as the other two (overly humble) guys in the video. One of them, Bill Seebold, has won over 1000 races as compared to Reggie's 100+.and deserves the title of (World's greatest Boat Racer...or maybe even "King").. The other, Earl Benz, is the greatest natural boat racing talent I ever saw, bar none, but had a relatively short career because he switched to family and building boat companies at a very young age comparatively.

At the very least Reggie is in some fine company and respected, if not loved, by most folks I know. Bear in mind that TV producers don't get rich by telling stories about simple folks who come in 3rd, and, as with all things Fountain exaggeration is all part of the game..

I hope the show turns out well.....

T2x
Nailed it again.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Don had pretty much retired from racing and building race boats long before he was murdered so his career was probably not "shortened" by the tragedy.

I knew Don and know Reggie and am not a blind fanatic regarding either. But give the devil his due...Reggie hung in there and did win at any and all costs... so he does deserve respect in that regard. Personally I wouldn't use the term "King" since so much of any Offshore success story rests on the technology developed by an even more competitive Icon, Carl Kiekhaefer, (and his son Fred). But Reggie is and was the most prolific winner (by boat brand) in the sport's history. On the other hand, Peter Hledin had a lot to do with developing Fountain's race boat construction technology and has been successfully building winning boats over a longer time span. Peter is a much more humble guy and shies away from aggressive self promotion (yes you can read between the lines here.)

Regarding Reggie's Tunnel boat career, he was an outstanding driver, almost as good as the other two (overly humble) guys in the video. One of them, Bill Seebold, has won over 1000 races as compared to Reggie's 100+.and he (along with a fellow named Bill Sirois) deserve the title of (World's greatest Boat Racer...or maybe even "King").. The other, Earl Benz, is the greatest natural boat racing talent I ever saw, bar none, but had a relatively short career because he switched to family and building boat companies at a very young age comparatively.

At the very least Reggie is in some fine company and respected, if not loved, by most folks I know. Bear in mind that TV producers don't get rich by telling stories about simple folks who come in 3rd, and, as with all things Fountain, exaggeration is aq big part of the game..

T2x
Well said. In my business there are the "front men" and women who are good to look at with good teeth and breath and can hold the customers attention long enough to complete a sales pitch. The looks of some of our "shop men" or widget makers could stop a clock but they produce a fine product. It seems Reggie and Don could play both roles in their respective businesses and became successful because of it. IMHO if there is to be any successful reboot of the performance boat market, promoting a persona with flamboyance, notoriety and name recognition will be of prime importance. And it's much easier to sell a live one than a dead one.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

Regarding Reggie's Tunnel boat career, he was an outstanding driver, almost as good as the other two (overly humble) guys in the video. One of them, Bill Seebold, has won over 1000 races as compared to Reggie's 100+.and he (along with a fellow named Bill Sirois) deserve the title of (World's greatest Boat Racer...or maybe even "King").. The other, Earl Benz, is the greatest natural boat racing talent I ever saw, bar none, but had a relatively short career because he switched to family and building boat companies at a very young age comparatively.

At the very least Reggie is in some fine company and respected, if not loved, by most folks I know. Bear in mind that TV producers don't get rich by telling stories about simple folks who come in 3rd, and, as with all things Fountain, exaggeration is aq big part of the game..

T2x
Point taken, nice post.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Registered

t2x should have his own column !!!!!

another way to look at this is by the time reggie came into the offshore scene the big names were into the cats. cougar and skater seem to have much bigger affect since the cat is a faster boat by design. just saying look at the race and poker run scene.

if you consider the "king" in reference to PR stunts and salesmanship, reggie was king.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

A guy pulls into a gas station along the hiway on the way to loto. Driving an f650 pulling a big fountain. Wild paint, big motors and miles away from the nearest water. A minivan pulls up on the other side of the pump. Guy gets out, walks over and checks it out. He doesn't really know anything about boats, but when he sees the owner he says "nice CIGARETTE boat. Reggie has accomplished great things, he may have even risen to king status, but the kingdom was founded by....... Obama is the current potus (like him or hate him, he still managed to land the job) but if it wasn't for George Washington, he wouldn't have a country to be president of...
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn it Phragle! I liked that parable so much I almost started drinking again. Steady now........LOL!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-22-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

You guys are getting old. Most people know fountain for fountain. I like the fact Reggie built a boat that is unmistakable and unique. I have fishing friends who know Nithing about sportboats but know what a fountain is and how legendary the hull is.

Again say what you will, jealousy will accomplish nothing. The fountain still reigns supreme in handling and straight line speed for a vhull.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,098 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Take all Reggie's trophies; that should fill a 30 yard container level. Take all his gold jewelry; that should fill a 40 yard container level. Take all the mirrors he has ever gazed into seemingly endlessly; let's hope we can fit them into two 40 yard containers level. Stack them on top of one another. Place Reggie on top of them, standing on his tiptoes, stretching out, reaching upwards. He still can not touch the soles of Don Aronow's boots. That is how far he is from being the King of Offshore.
Have you ever met Reggie?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
A guy pulls into a gas station along the hiway on the way to loto. Driving an f650 pulling a big fountain. Wild paint, big motors and miles away from the nearest water. A minivan pulls up on the other side of the pump. Guy gets out, walks over and checks it out. He doesn't really know anything about boats, but when he sees the owner he says "nice CIGARETTE boat. Reggie has accomplished great things, he may have even risen to king status, but the kingdom was founded by....... Obama is the current potus (like him or hate him, he still managed to land the job) but if it wasn't for George Washington, he wouldn't have a country to be president of...
That is without a doubt the worst comparison I have ever read on this forum, or any other. That is akin to saying that Ray Crock and his enterprise (Mcdonalds) is superior to the founder of Ruths Chris (Ruth Fertel) due to the fact that everyone driving a "Looser Cruiser" minivan can assimilate with who Mcdonalds is. The world is full of Lemmings that regurgitate what they see on episodes of Miami Vice (Yes I know they were Scarabs). However, the "common" perception of the lay person, and their subsequent dogmatic ignorant statements regarding their obvious lack of knowledge on the difference between offshore boats in NO WAY dictates who has contributed more to the offshore powerboat industry.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRL505
That is without a doubt the worst comparison I have ever read on this forum, or any other. That is akin to saying that Ray Crock and his enterprise (Mcdonalds) is superior to the founder of Ruths Chris (Ruth Fertel) due to the fact that everyone driving a "Looser Cruiser" minivan can assimilate with who Mcdonalds is. The world is full of Lemmings that regurgitate what they see on episodes of Miami Vice (Yes I know they were Scarabs). However, the "common" perception of the lay person, and their subsequent dogmatic ignorant statements regarding their obvious lack of knowledge on the difference between offshore boats in NO WAY dictates who has contributed more to the offshore powerboat industry.
Dogmatic? I broke 4 of those E4OD transmissions back in the mid 90's!
Hey,Is this one of those Cigarette boats?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...6f0970&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-23-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.