Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall

Notices

Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall

Old 01-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:b sflag:
Originally Posted by T2x
Don had pretty much retired from racing and building race boats long before he was murdered so his career was probably not "shortened" by the tragedy.

I knew Don and know Reggie and am not a blind fanatic regarding either. But give the devil his due...Reggie hung in there and did win at any and all costs... so he does deserve respect in that regard. Personally I wouldn't use the term "King" since so much of any Offshore success story rests on the technology developed by an even more competitive Icon, Carl Kiekhaefer, (and his son Fred). But Reggie is and was the most prolific winner (by boat brand) in the sport's history. On the other hand, Peter Hledin had a lot to do with developing Fountain's race boat construction technology and has been successfully building winning boats over a longer time span. Peter is a much more humble guy and shies away from aggressive self promotion (yes you can read between the lines here.)

Regarding Reggie's Tunnel boat career, he was an outstanding driver, almost as good as the other two (overly humble) guys in the video. One of them, Bill Seebold, has won over 1000 races as compared to Reggie's 100+.and he (along with a fellow named Bill Sirois) deserve the title of (World's greatest Boat Racer...or maybe even "King").. The other, Earl Benz, is the greatest natural boat racing talent I ever saw, bar none, but had a relatively short career because he switched to family and building boat companies at a very young age comparatively.

At the very least Reggie is in some fine company and respected, if not loved, by most folks I know. Bear in mind that TV producers don't get rich by telling stories about simple folks who come in 3rd, and, as with all things Fountain, exaggeration is aq big part of the game..

I hope the show turns out well.....

T2x
Retired before he was murdered? So I guess he was just driving by the old shop when he was shot huh?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Don had pretty much retired from racing and building race boats long before he was murdered so his career was probably not "shortened" by the tragedy.

I knew Don and know Reggie and am not a blind fanatic regarding either. But give the devil his due...Reggie hung in there and did win at any and all costs... so he does deserve respect in that regard. Personally I wouldn't use the term "King" since so much of any Offshore success story rests on the technology developed by an even more competitive Icon, Carl Kiekhaefer, (and his son Fred). But Reggie is and was the most prolific winner (by boat brand) in the sport's history. On the other hand, Peter Hledin had a lot to do with developing Fountain's race boat construction technology and has been successfully building winning boats over a longer time span. Peter is a much more humble guy and shies away from aggressive self promotion (yes you can read between the lines here.)

Regarding Reggie's Tunnel boat career, he was an outstanding driver, almost as good as the other two (overly humble) guys in the video. One of them, Bill Seebold, has won over 1000 races as compared to Reggie's 100+.and he (along with a fellow named Bill Sirois) deserve the title of (World's greatest Boat Racer...or maybe even "King").. The other, Earl Benz, is the greatest natural boat racing talent I ever saw, bar none, but had a relatively short career because he switched to family and building boat companies at a very young age comparatively.

At the very least Reggie is in some fine company and respected, if not loved, by most folks I know. Bear in mind that TV producers don't get rich by telling stories about simple folks who come in 3rd, and, as with all things Fountain, exaggeration is aq big part of the game..

I hope the show turns out well.....

T2x
Explain how you knew Don seeing how you're 1st sentence was a kick to his crotch I say you full of chit!!!!:b sflag:
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1 More Cig
Explain how you knew Don seeing how you're 1st sentence was a kick to his crotch I say you full of chit!!!!:b sflag:
Umm T2x is Rich Luhrs, He knows more about offshore racing and people than most of us could learn in a lifetime. You may want to check into who your calling full of chit before you start typing.

Last edited by baditude; 01-20-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You're new around these parts I take it?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Registered

:b sflag:

Retired before he was murdered? So I guess he was just driving by the old shop when he was shot huh?
Don had already sold Cigarette long before he was shot and had recently bought back Team USA/ Blue Thunder the US customs boats from Ben Kramer. He was shot after leaving a meeting with Bob Saccenti.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baditude
Don had already sold Cigarette long before he was shot and had recently bought back Team USA/ Blue Thunder the US customs boats from Ben Kramer. He was shot after leaving a meeting with Bob Saccenti.
So read your sentence! Don would have been around in the powerboat world for a long time no matter what brand of boat he decided to build buy or sell. He was a businessman.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baditude
Umm T2x is Rich Luhrs, He knows more about offshore racing and people than most of us could learn in a lifetime. You may want to check into who your calling full of chit before you start typing.
Yea I read his profile before I typed so what! How the heck does he know that Don wouldn't have built boats again! So the tragedy didn't shorten his career? I say b.s.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck183
You're new around these parts I take it?
No not new around these parts.I'm well into my 50s and been reading on here a long time I just don't post much.
On another note if that's you're Bullet Vincent is painting it's gonna be a nice ride!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Aronow definitely built some phenomenal boats and companies. I still think Reggie's is king of offshore unless someone can challenge his number of wins both personally and as a manufacturer.
since don built, magnum, formula, donzi, cigarette, and used the stretched mistress to make the 41 apache, his cumulative wins in these hulls would im sure out number fountains wins... did reggie even race when they had true offshore races point to point?

i thought reggie was dons personal fluffer when dons was hammered and getting ready to bang someones gal. lol
Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

No not new around these parts.I'm well into my 50s and been reading on here a long time I just don't post much.
On another note if that's you're Bullet Vincent is painting it's gonna be a nice ride!
It is. Thank you for the kind words.

Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.