Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall >

Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall

Notices

Reggie Fountain 'King of Offshore' Documentary Coming this Fall

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don had some great powerboats under his belt. Geezus, the 41 Apache is still sought after by guys that can afford ANY powerboat. Guys that own other brands are always checking out those 20 year old Apaches. We will never know what more Don could have accomplished. Damn shame really.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 01-22-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ratman
since don built, magnum, formula, donzi, cigarette, and used the stretched mistress to make the 41 apache, his cumulative wins in these hulls would im sure out number fountains wins... did reggie even race when they had true offshore races point to point?

i thought reggie was dons personal fluffer when dons was hammered and getting ready to bang someones gal. lol

Ratman....... You have some of the best post I have ever read...... Never leave this site, please!!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:10 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 More Cig
Yea I read his profile before I typed so what! How the heck does he know that Don wouldn't have built boats again! So the tragedy didn't shorten his career? I say b.s.
Wow!!!! Nice to meet you too! That's some attitude and anger you've got stuck in your craw. Did you know Don?

Bottom line, Don had pretty much stepped out of the sport and was involved with race horses, and other interests. He was years removed from his last actual race boat drive, and he was simply retooling his old designs into new brands, when he was killed. The Cats had arrived on the scene and he showed no interest in building anything to run with them. Might he have changed his mind later? Perhaps, but the sport was moving very rapidly and new builders, Cougar, Skater, Shadow, Conquest, Velocity, Phantom, Buzzi and even Fountain were emerging and developing at a fast pace with much greater technological leaps than his previous competition. Could he have made an impact? Again perhaps, but the odds were against his returning to the dominance he had enjoyed earlier.

It's interesting to speculate and even loudly defend....but not worth getting your 50 year old panties in a wad over.....

You're welcome......

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 01-23-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gbochis
Okay - No question Don did make a HUGE contribution to the sport at an early stage. By 1973 more than 50% of the high performance offshore product were produced by companies he founded. By the time Reggie hits the scene (no one can argue) the field is a lot wider and his product becomes just as dominant (on the race course and in the market place). So maybe we can agree that they were different guys at different times in an ever evolving sport.

Now for all you "Well if Don had not been killed then........" Lets discuss that, in order for Don to have not been executed it would mean his deal with Kramer was beneficial to both parties (or at least Kramer did not feel screwed). Follow that to its likely conclusion. When the Feds roll in Don gets wrapped with Money Laundering and Racketeering charges just like everyone else that had positive business relationships with Kramer. If you examine the relationships in the totality of the time and understand the circumstance of his death, I would assert his execution most definitely protected and somewhat defined his legend.
Not sure I agree with all of this either. Many people had positive business relationships with Ben who didn't launder money. I sold him a set of plans for a cat, and we also did business on the video side...(all transactions were reported on tax returns etc....) and , since the transactions that Don had with Ben have been published worldwide, there is little mystery. The alleged $1 million dollar cash issue might have hit the
lights. but that's probably doubtful given the business maneuvers of both guys. Don was no altar boy, but i doubt that he would have ended up in the clink.

T2x
Old 01-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
since the transactions that Don had with Ben have been published worldwide, there is little mystery. The alleged $1 million dollar cash issue might have hit the
lights. but that's probably doubtful given the business maneuvers of both guys. Don was no altar boy, but i doubt that he would have ended up in the clink.

T2x
T2x, Was Don scheduled to give a deposition or appear before a Grand Jury when he was killed?

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 01-22-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
since don built, magnum, formula, donzi, cigarette, and used the stretched mistress to make the 41 apache, his cumulative wins in these hulls would im sure out number fountains wins... did reggie even race when they had true offshore races point to point?

i thought reggie was dons personal fluffer when dons was hammered and getting ready to bang someones gal. lol
have to agree
Old 01-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Better yet

Last edited by 12meter joe; 01-22-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Wow!!!! Nice to meet you too! That's some attitude and anger you've got stuck in your craw. Did you know Don?

Bottom line, Don had pretty much stepped out of the sport and was involved with race horses, and other interests. He was years removed from his last actual race boat drive, and he was simply retooling his old designs into new brands, when he was killed. The Cats had arrived on the scene and he showed no interest in building anything to run with them. Might he have changed his mind later? Perhaps, but the sport was moving very rapidly and new builders, Cougar, Skater, Shadow, Conquest, Velocity, Phantom, Buzzi and even Fountain were emerging and developing at a fast pace with much greater technological leaps than his previous competition. Could he have made an impact? Again perhaps, but the odds were against his returning to the dominance he had enjoyed earlier.

It's interesting to speculate and even loudly defend....but not worth getting your 50 year old panties in a wad over.....

Your welcome......

T2x
Interesting......speculate you say! Read your 1st sentence of your post 30 responding to another post.
Seems your full of speculation!
Nice to meet you also....and don't get your 70 year old bloomers in a wad to steal your line!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Why has the thread turned into a Don hate love thread??
Old 01-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 238 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Why has the thread turned into a Don hate love thread??
some people cant handle the truth...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.