Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Shopping. Cigarette 38 Top Gun straight bottom Vs. T/S? >

Shopping. Cigarette 38 Top Gun straight bottom Vs. T/S?

Notices

Shopping. Cigarette 38 Top Gun straight bottom Vs. T/S?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 830 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
said the str8 bottom rode better,
That is in sharp contrast to what all the VERY knowledgeable people in the CIG section who have tons of seat time in both say.....
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

i would love a t/s but i dont want a bravo boat and cant afford to fix a #6 boat. are there any t/s boats with 3's,4's or 5's??
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight bottom - cheaper - some nice boats for a decent price. The straight bottom will not have the top end speed of a T/S. My 525 EFI TG runs right at 73-74 with perfect conditions & light load. T/S will bump 10-12 MPH more with same power & conditions. The straight bottom gun rides great once you get to 55+ & on top of water. Otherwise, it rides more in the water like some have mentioned. Still not a bad ride at all, better than most, but a straight bottom needs a bit of tab at lower speed to keep the porpoise to a minimum. Cabin space in a straight bottom is nice.

Take a look at both. You can't go wrong with either one. If top speed isn't a concern the straight bottom would likely be a fine move to save $$. However, if the extra $$$ or so for a early year T/S isn't a big deal I'd buy the T/S. I like my straight bottom TG - good power and in very good shape in comparison to some. Although - I now wish I would have bit the bullet initially & purchased the T/S.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill agree with everyone else. If i could have my cabin/head and #5s hanging off the back of a t/s id be a happy camper. That being said, the first time running mine in big water changed my mind entirely on hating the ride. Both are nice but the worthless cabin of the t/s out weighed the difference in speed, at least for how i use my boat.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbesola
Ill agree with everyone else. If i could have my cabin/head and #5s hanging off the back of a t/s id be a happy camper. That being said, the first time running mine in big water changed my mind entirely on hating the ride. Both are nice but the worthless cabin of the t/s out weighed the difference in speed, at least for how i use my boat.
That's a pretty good post to sum it up. First decide what type of boating you prefer. The T/S is pure hot rod without the cabin, the old flat bottom offers a little more flexibility if you are going to stay on it. Convert a T/S to full cabin, there you go!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both. Most of the comments are on. The ts boats ride on top and flat. The strait runs through and have some porpoise you have to move the the tabs and drives at lower speed. At 60+ they ride about the same. I currently have a strait hull kevler hull. The ts boats do feel a little loose in the rear end that I never 100% got over but it never felt unsafe, jjst moved around a little. I'd own another.

Last edited by Von Bongo; 08-30-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't go wrong with either one but if you can afford to go step you won't regret it. Step hasn't been in my budget yet only reason I don't own one.