Notices

Mercury Releases ‘Green’ Outboard Propellers at IBEX

Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Matt:

I think the issue from VFCW is the maximum pitch of 23" which is well below the "performance" threshold for faster outboards that generally pull from 30" to 35".

23" of pitch will max out somewhere around 70 mph on most outboards which makes this a perfect wheel for big CC's and the like, but a bit low for faster cats and SOB's. Mercury sales are obviously much higher in the CC and cruiser market than in the, ever decreasing, max speed hulls so this makes good business sense, plus the economy factor never meant much to the high flyers anyway.

Mercury is using big diameter and blade area for their, primarily 4 cycle, mega motors to decrease prop slip in mid range and generate greater efficiency... To me, it's all good.

T2x
Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Matt:

I think the issue from VFCW is the maximum pitch of 23" which is well below the "performance" threshold for faster outboards that generally pull from 30" to 35".

23" of pitch will max out somewhere around 70 mph on most outboards which makes this a perfect wheel for big CC's and the like, but a bit low for faster cats and SOB's. Mercury sales are obviously much higher in the CC and cruiser market than in the, ever decreasing, max speed hulls so this makes good business sense, plus the economy factor never meant much to the high flyers anyway.

Mercury is using big diameter and blade area for their, primarily 4 cycle, mega motors to decrease prop slip in mid range and generate greater efficiency... To me, it's all good.

T2x
Great point, as usual, and agreed, especially your last two sentences—hence the inclusion of "props reportedly deliver a 10-percent increase in fuel economy at cruising speeds" in the second sentence the story. I realized the limited application of the propellers for the outboard go-fast boat market given the low pitch range, but given the popularity of center consoles (an application you noted) with the go-fast crowd I thought the news of the new prop line was worthwhile for speedonthewater.com and bringing here. To me, it's all good, too.

Thanks, as always, for helping clarify.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume these are just for Verado's? Not sure the 2-stroke motors will accept a 16" propeller.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Matt:

T2x
Wasn't trying to be a jerk just get tired of the brush and bowling alley cheeseheads constantly slinging their hash on every forum, umopposed. I grew up where Charlie was king and Don was prop prince but even we respected Dennis and what he did to raise the reputation of the lab. We prided ourselves on the fact that the RX runs better than the big ear chopper but weren't above trying Dennis' stuff whenever the chance presented itself.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by VFCW
Wasn't trying to be a jerk just get tired of the brush and bowling alley cheeseheads constantly slinging their hash on every forum, umopposed. I grew up where Charlie was king and Don was prop prince but even we respected Dennis and what he did to raise the reputation of the lab. We prided ourselves on the fact that the RX runs better than the big ear chopper but weren't above trying Dennis' stuff whenever the chance presented itself.
Sorry if I made you feel like a jerk. Tone is easily misread online, that's for sure. If mine came across poorly, I apologize. All good. Really like the "King" and "pop prince" analogies, by the way. Made me chuckle. And Dennis ... he was something else.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Matt, I too appreciated the article and read it for what it was. Many of us have more than just perfomance boats and are also interested in new products for them that we might otherwise have not known about.