Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Breaking News:  Miss GEICO to race in Turbine Class vs QATAR!! >

Breaking News: Miss GEICO to race in Turbine Class vs QATAR!!

Notices

Breaking News: Miss GEICO to race in Turbine Class vs QATAR!!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Great publicity move on Geico to step up and play with the turbine class
however it really is not a fair shake comparing Whispering turbine 703,s
which im sure are kissing a close 2000hp a side at less then 500lbs each.
The old Geico mystic RIP would have really gave Qatar a race.
It is really too bad the turbine class is so thin.

Great Job Qatar!!! wish i was there to see it!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foxbat
thanks for the 'spin' explanations guys.

it was very heart breaking to watch them fall out after only a few laps. but one thing for sure, even if they had stayed in it, there is no way the mercury 1650's could compete with the turbines on qatar. once qatar got in her groove after lap 2, geico was a hundred feet behind and losing ground. i ate some major crow today in clearwater against my buddies who were rooting for qatar. if ms geico is going to compete against qatar, in the future, they will absolutely need to return to turbines. i had high hopes for the 1650's vs t53 today, but after seeing what i saw, the pistons simply cannot compete.
theres more too it than just turbines......just look at the combination Qatar has put together. they are/were the #2 team in C1, which gives them some of the best racing experience anywhere. they were able to WIN the worlds last yr in their Class1 boat straight up against the 1650/turbine boats with just NA motors making just 930 a side. now they are the in fastest offshore hull available (myway @224). whispering turbines built there engines along with onsite support from adam bratvold. and last Steve Curtis throttles and rigged the boat.

on the other side, the yellow boat which is batting just above .500 for finishing races, doesn't look good for KW. and now with megamouth marc setting the precedent of running both extreme classes together, well lucky its boat racing not Nascar. heads would have been rolling by now.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice older article
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...53217764,d.dmg
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered

Yeah it would have been WAY MORE EXCITING to have the 2 boats cruise around and win their respective classes..........

Hats off to Miss Geico for stepping up into a gun battle with a pocket knife.....
Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by poddy
Yeah it would have been WAY MORE EXCITING to have the 2 boats cruise around and win their respective classes..........

Hats off to Miss Geico for stepping up into a gun battle with a pocket knife.....
Agree, hats off big time. A big step up to make it interesting for the fans, even though they know the junk 1650's would not stand a chance.
Those engines have put team Geico back years. I dont think they have finished one race with two engines running this year. guardian mode or not.
Regardless. I will put my money on Geico running head to head with Qatar with turbines power any day. They have more passion.
Maybe one day they will wise up and sell those 1650's to some Poker runners and go back to what works.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I always root for miss geico. However I'm not a huge fan of merc. I think mercs product has gone down severely and anything HP they build is a ticking time bomb. I mean with all the stories of valve springs breaking, headers going, reversion with the Gil's. merc just doesn't put the r&d into the blue stuff. The black stuff has been great and runs forever just limited power.

Rooting for ya geico. Call YPM from what I hear you'll have reliable big power!!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by J Arruda
Regardless. I will put my money on Geico running head to head with Qatar with turbines power any day. They have more passion.
i'll take that bet.

not sure how you gauge passion but pretty sure the Qatar team has just as much. plus they run whispering turbines, john.
the rest of the field is going to need a lot of luck in KW.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 280 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
I was on the hook right at turn 3 and saw the spinout..... Turbine engines look effortless out there today. Quiet, smooth, no way a piston engine can compete with a turbine..... Cant bring a knife to a gunfight...... The shiek has unlimited funds so it will be difficult to compete...... TBF
Excellent analysis, that pretty much sums it up right there.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skaterdave
i'll take that bet.

not sure how you gauge passion but pretty sure the Qatar team has just as much. plus they run whispering turbines, john.
the rest of the field is going to need a lot of luck in KW.
Well that is my opinion Skater Dave. You can sit on the sidelines like you'll ways have and Judge other people.
And by the way. What does whispering turbines have to do with anything ?
Do you think their engines are superior anyone else's. Please get real.
Of course the Qatar boat is going to work. They are using all MY turbine rigging parts, that I developed over the last 14 years in the boat. All purchased from Geicos x turbine programmed that I supplied them.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J Arruda
Of course the Qatar boat is going to work. They are using all MY turbine rigging parts, that I developed over the last 14 years in the boat. All purchased from Geicos x turbine programmed that I supplied them.
Thanks for the insight. Pretty interesting, Geico was basically racing against their own ghost!

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 09-30-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.