Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is this true?  Have the feds really tried to shut down Biscayne Bay? >

Is this true? Have the feds really tried to shut down Biscayne Bay?

Notices

Is this true? Have the feds really tried to shut down Biscayne Bay?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 352 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Is this true? Have the feds really tried to shut down Biscayne Bay?

Gov't Tries to Close the OCEAN Due to Shutdown

Charter boat captains in Florida have been informed by the National Park Service that the Florida Bay is closed due to the government shutdown.

The captains, who make a living by taking tourists and anglers on deep-sea fishing trips, are prohibited from fishing in 1,100 square miles of ocean until the shutdown ends. They are also banned from Biscayne National Park.

Rangers will be on duty to enforce the ban. In fact, the personnel and resources required to shut down the ocean will probably cost more than keeping it open. Brilliant.

Breitbart reporter Mike Flynn hit the nail on the head:

This is governing by temper-tantrum. It is on par with the government’s ham-fisted attempts to close the DC WWII Memorial, an open-air public monument that is normally accessible 24 hours a day. By accessible I mean, you walk up to it. When you have finished reflecting, you then walk away from it.

At least that Memorial is an actual structure, with some kind of perimeter that can be fenced off. Florida Bay is the ocean. How, pray tell, do you “close” 1,100 square miles of ocean? Why would one even need to do so?

Apparently, according to an anonymous Park Service ranger, “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

Americans from both sides have criticized the unnecessary theatrics that the shutdown has brought. It’s called Washington Monument Syndrome, and it’s basically when officials close down the most popular government services with hopes of upsetting the public enough to pressure lawmakers to act a particular way.

But forget Washington Monument Syndrome. The bottom line is that Washington is taking advantage of the situation just to make a point, and it seems they have no limits. First the forests, then the monuments, and now the ocean? When will it stop?

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/10/8448...-due-shutdown/
Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Doesn't surprise me.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also caught this on the news, before coming in. Is it true and to what extent? Now even more so; the current administration is going to hurt the U.S. Citizen, while all of these jack legs, still get paid. They need to negotiate, this budget without causing pain to the hardworking people of this country.
So if we go into another week of this; what will be next? Closing off the federal waters of the coastal areas, shutting down the Inter coastal Waterway, blocking all export import areas from International Waters?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

----Was in Grand Rapids last weekend and the lockout extends to the Gerald Ford Library as well. Ludicrous!!!!!!.........Bill S
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open the ocean but they can keep the IRS closed
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

We're headed to Utah soon for a week at Canyonland and Arches N.P. Obviously we're pissed.
ed
Old 10-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Biscayne National Park is closed. They were handing out flyers at the ramp this weekend stating that the bay was open for transit only, no fishing, anchoring or stopping. Needless to say the kids were not happy as their favorite fishing spot is inside the bay and we couldn't hang out at the sandbar either. Changed plans and headed down to Gilbert's for lunch. The number to call for any questions is (305) 230-1144.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish someone would stick a hook up OBAMA'S ass and pull his head out. I'm so sick of hearing about all this stuff. Its one thing after another. It make me sick. Being a self employed small business owner it Realy make me think.

He is the leader of this country and has the most influence out of any other human being, and he is just sitting there and pointing fingers and pouting like a two yr old. It makes us look like idiots.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 453 Likes on 174 Posts

We need a revolution . Since when do we allow employee's to make us miserable . This really reeks of a dictatorship . My opinion is my opinion .
Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

They would have to chase me off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.