Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples >

To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples

Notices

To all the naysayers that told me i was crazy to buy my 42 with triples

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on that!! many people are running bravos behind big horsepower. The new XR gears are not made the way they used to be leading to many unfortunate horror story's. With the technology thats out there with the tricks that come into play building bravos many decide to have their bravo1's beefed up and drive their boats like they own it.One of the main reasons mercury produced the XR was due to those who go out and mash the sticks getting on plane and go wave hoping spinning high RPM. Give Jhon a call at the Bravo Shop, he has great advise with all secreat's that come into play keeping bravos alive behind big horsepower.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 180 Posts

Congrats on the Fountain! Sounds like a great boat.

Not trying to hijack but curious about what year the XR drives started using the cheaper gears?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like I'll stick with what I have then. Not sure my -2 lowers are the answer on this thing. Previous owner did the lowers at same time they stepped the motors up 75+hp apiece and it didn't really pick it up much. Gonna try some different props and drive spacers next spring and see what we can get out of it. I have had more than one person suggest going back to stock Bravo lowers as these shorties almost act like a hook when trimmed where it seems to want to be. Also looks as though the props run in "dirty" water with these lowers. I may have three -2 Imco lowers for sale in May!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Congrats on loving your boat. Forget the naysayers. I gave up on what other people think many years ago, and when I want an opinion; I'll ask for it.

What's the best thing about a twin engine boat? Starting the second engine.
What's the best thing about a triple engine boat? Staring the third engine! (That, and you can usually get home on plane with two of the three; most twin engine boats can't do such.)
Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool to hear them trips are doing good for you.I could not even keep my single engine set up running last year .Hope this next year will be different. hf...
Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Did some one say trips????
2600 HP scarab
Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Did some one say trips????
2600 HP scarab
That boat propped right should touch 90 in the right conditions.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by halffast
Cool to hear them trips are doing good for you.I could not even keep my single engine set up running last year .Hope this next year will be different. hf...
Yeah, reading this makes me quite jealous! My twins didn't want to behave last year either. If it wasn't one it was the other. Two rebuilds later hopefully next year is a blast!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike.......you had good luck all year so now you want to mess that up by playing with things? LOL

That is a clean boat, with a great previous owner, and that ride has been local for as long as I can remember. I think you took some of the criticism a little too much to heart. What people were trying to tell you is a slightly newer twin step, full stag twin gives the same performance as a trip without the extra hassle of the third engine..and gas. The twins are also easier to resell.

I also agree to not swap the drives, being that you have trips its actually easier on drives. And standard bravos are dirt cheap to replace/ rebuild compared to an XR. Buy a spare bravo 1 of the same vintage, have it serviced and keep it in the barn.

Its a nice ride, enjoy it!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron, that's what I am going to do. I am going to have Jimmy Raymond grab me a couple and go thru them and keep one at camp and one home in the garage. I do want to run this thing with stock lowers and my 4 blades and see what it will do. I can never leave anything alone though, and I would love to see this old flat bottom girl top 90 next summer. If I have another good spring at the nuke plant maybe we will hunt for the mid 90's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.