Notices

Races Leaving Key West??

Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
2004. I was still racing and that year it was a huge turnout for Sarasota and Key West when all orgs were together. What a great time.
That's pretty good! Is that one of those cardboard cutouts you stand behind for the photo?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As some of these posts have shown, even hardcore enthusiasts don't know enough about the racing to know who the players are. If SBI were to leave KW and Stu kept coming down, little would likely change for KW. And if Stu is as smart as I think he is, he knows that and would not move his event to Clearwater. And there is this guy in NJ that seems to find ways to put on races even when less money is available from the city....
Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like said real race teams will be there who else can afford to head that far south with out huge team!?Glad it will be a go went a few times nothing like it!!Good luck!!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:08 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
It will get to the point at sometime he wont be able to afford to put a race on in KW.You can afford to lose so much money putting on a race.
That hasn't seemed to stop them from putting the race on in Jersey City, NJ . With the record low turnouts at that event, I can't imagine it being profitable, but there must be a reason they keep it going. Rumor always was that KW was SBI's largest profitable race that help pay to run a few sites that ran at a loss? With the extreme fees for just about anything in KW such as tents for the race teams, I would be surprised KW would be coming to close to a loss. I certainly wouldn't know , but if it means better economics to go to Clearwater so be it. I personally don't think it will hurt KW as much as everyone thinks it would as long as FPC continues with the Poker Run and perhaps bring in an additional show with the Poker Run such as a huge Custom Car Show. The races have been shorten so much that if you blink they can be over. In my opinion, that probably bothered me the most. Come all the way down there for 2 days at 30 miles??? each race, and then 60 + on Sunday. It certainly is not as much racing to watch as it used to be back in the day ... Then again, we no longer live back in the day and so much has changed... I wish them the best of luck with Clearwater. For them to have both the Nationals and the World Championship races in Clearwater, people there will sure be lucky.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Hands down KW is where every racer wants to race if they can. IMO its the cost to do just one race a year that keeps many of the other orgs racers from attending. I don't think in most cases it has to due with egos, politics or who likes who. Its a rich mans boat racers race. Outside people have no idea of what it cost to bring a boat and team to KW for a one week event. The smallest team will spend a min of $10,000 and a full blown extreme team im sure is in the $100,000 plus. Its a pure cost thing IMO that keeps it from being a 100 boat fleet min.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
That hasn't seemed to stop them from putting the race on in Jersey City, NJ . With the record low turnouts at that event, I can't imagine it being profitable, but there must be a reason they keep it going. Rumor always was that KW was SBI's largest profitable race that help pay to run a few sites that ran at a loss? With the extreme fees for just about anything in KW such as tents for the race teams, I would be surprised KW would be coming to close to a loss. I certainly wouldn't know , but if it means better economics to go to Clearwater so be it. I personally don't think it will hurt KW as much as everyone thinks it would as long as FPC continues with the Poker Run and perhaps bring in an additional show with the Poker Run such as a huge Custom Car Show. The races have been shorten so much that if you blink they can be over. In my opinion, that probably bothered me the most. Come all the way down there for 2 days at 30 miles??? each race, and then 60 + on Sunday. It certainly is not as much racing to watch as it used to be back in the day ... Then again, we no longer live back in the day and so much has changed... I wish them the best of luck with Clearwater. For them to have both the Nationals and the World Championship races in Clearwater, people there will sure be lucky.
Pete
You don't have a clue what it cost to put on a 10 day event in KW, you nailed it when you said rumors about profit. KW is not a money maker, break even would be a huge winner.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 AM
FPC Events
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't make the decisions around here, but I doubt FPC would go to Clearwater.
Key West is way too much fun, and I personally don't even watch the races...

I vote FPC goes to KW!
No Matter What~
Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jackie.fpc
I don't make the decisions around here, but I doubt FPC would go to Clearwater.
Key West is way too much fun, and I personally don't even watch the races...

I vote FPC goes to KW!
No Matter What~
Wondered when you would chime in!

And that is what I assumed. Without the FPC the Key West races would be close to extinct. The sheer volume of boats, people that need to eat, drink and take accommodations PLUS fuel purchases from the club is the shot in the arm Key West wants.

Nothing like standing on the seawall, cold drink in hand, with boats running triple digits passing 50 to 100' feet in front of you. Watching it from the beach is, well, watching it from the beach. I live by the beach. I don't go to the beach. I don't like the beach.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 622 Likes on 183 Posts

There are a few of us here in California that ship our boats out to Miami because of the key west poker run and to go to key west
If the races were in Clearwater then we would still be in key west
Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 1,023 Likes on 540 Posts

I could care less about racing.........but Key West is a much better destination than Clearwater race or no race. I do think the date on the calendar (getting cold in most of the country) combined with one of the biggest poker runs in the world are also deciding factors on the success of the KW events.

However I think the biggest detriment to continuing the races is the pending litigation from the 2011 fatalities.......

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 10-14-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: fixed incorrect date

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.