Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat? >

Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat?

Notices

Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F350 Xcab Dually with 336 Formula almost 61' total length. Just a regular license.
BTW in New York State
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Blue Oval

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not aware of anyone in Michigan bugging people, If you are 10ft wide they make you get a permit. Not sure if they need a CDL to get permit.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

We tow our 382 (43' with trailer) and 43 Donzi (49' with trailer) from Indy to Florida every year with a chevy diesel dually and have never once been hassled. I always thought if it was personally owned equipment for personal use, a CDL was not required? The dually with either boat, fuel, gear, people, etc is over 26k combined. So are we required to log miles as well? What about restricted continuous drive time (11 hours I believe) is that a factor when you're not working/ getting paid. Sheesh, these rules are hard enough to keep track of as an employer with multiple large vehicles over 26k, now we have to follow everything on a personal level as well? I guess the fact that we've trailered 10's of thousands of miles over the years and never been bothered made us unaware. As a side note when we go to Lake Michigan we did get permits in several towns in Illinois bc of hearing how strict they were.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Blue Oval

I looked it up for our state. You can be up to 65ft on most roads, some are only 60ft. They did not list those roads. For personal only permit needed was for the classic one truck with two trailers up to 75ft.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

According to Federal DOT rules, which are for Fed. highways only legal length allowed is 80'. If your trailer of any kind (boat, horse or car) weighs over 10K you will need a "modified A" class license. That allows you up to 25K of trailer weight. Width allowed without needing a permit is 8'6" (102").Truck weight is not a factor. You DO NOT need a CDL endorsement unless you drive for a living. Each state may be little different on their own state routes but Fed. DOT usually takes precedent.

Now I will say that my Scarab with trailer is 42' long and 12K loaded. Tow with 22' Ford 350 dually. Don't have modified A license. Never been even looked at all up and down the east coast. Tempting fate? Maybe.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

F *&ck the police!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Registered

Get one of the new illegal alien drivers licence they are legal but only if you are illegal
Old 11-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Registered

Friend of mine towing his. triple engined 47 footer behind his 350 Dually. He never been pulled over, yet being totally illegal according to BC regulation.Max towed rec vehicle is 41', total length for tow vehicle and trailer is 65.5 ' without permit.Everyone should know the local regulations if don't want to be caught/bothered by the popo.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I gotta ask - how much was the ticket?
It was not too bad only $35 dollars but it wasted over an hour of time for two officers to come out and measure five times. Then had to stop on the way home at the police station to get a permit for $25 for a one way permit otherwise the ticket was more without the permit. Next year we will get a 120 day permit for around $100 and have it for boating season and then we should be okay. Also I will have to change my license to a class c non cdl.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't want to start crap but here is the law and I fight this every week here in NJ/NY with Drivers, Police, people who think they are drivers but do not drive for a "living" and know the law better than people like me.

Start with basics CDL are for drivers of CMV's (Commerical Motor Vehicles), vehicles ingaged in commerce, a bus or hauling hazmat - see fed regs below

Class A we know can tow anything but do you need one to tow your boat is the question or a Class B - that is the question correct?

Read B closely it does NOT say towing a trailer weighing more than 10,000 lbs it says if you are driving a single truck rated for more than 26,000 lbs you can only tow a trailer up to 10,000 lbs. If your truck is rated for more than 26,000lbs and you tow a over 10,000 lbs trailer you need a different license in that case a class A. the whole key here is "any such" vehicle "such" being a vehicle greater than 26,000 lbs.

With a Class B they don't want you towing big trailers, it was designed for like straight truck or single alxe dump truck to pull smaller trailers. If they let you pull a big trailer than why have an A & B license? They would be the same.

So, if your "single" vehicle has a GVWR of under 26,000lbs you can tow any weight of trailer as long as you do not exceed 26,000 lbs - that is what it says.

Furthermore if you are not involved in "commerce" you need nothing anyway and no logs.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has developed and issued standards for the testing and licensing of CDL holders. These standards require States to issue CDLs to certain CMV drivers only after the driver passes knowledge and skills tests, administered by the State and related to the type of vehicle the driver expects to operate. Drivers are required to obtain and hold a CDL if they operate in interstate, intrastate, or foreign commerce if they drive a vehicle that meets any of the classifications of a CMV described below.

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 11-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.