Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat? >

Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat?

Notices

Waht kind of drivers lic do I need to tow a boat?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 264 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Jersey you can tow a 44 MTI on a tilt trailer with an S-10 and nobody says anything.
Funny but true, and legally speaking you are correct.

Stephen R. Jones
Attorney-At-Law (defense attorney)
(Criminal Charges and Motor Vehicle Offenses)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I hear those douchers patrol that 7th ave. and give out tickets all day.. thats why i have no interest in launching at Winthrop.. I`ll take my $$ down the road to Racine.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is something I have been wandering about. Several of the boats the wife and I have been looking at are 38' or longer. Two weight more than 10,000 pounds including the trailer the boat is on. One boat is 10'6" beam so I know that I will have to get a wife load sign and permit for that.
Question I have is we have looked at a used Sportchassis, will that change what license I need?

Thanks
Flipper
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went across the scales just for fun in my 2500 Dodge pulling a 35 full of fuel with a lifted golf cart in the back of my truck on the way to Lanier last year. Weighed in at 21k. We were in a caravan of 6 and got passed by a lot of cops on the way up from SC. We were all doing 70 in the slow lane never got hassled. My point drive like you have some sense with working lights and in the southeast they leave you alone. Have pulled from FL to VA
Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mcr vyper
Over the summer we were stopped and ticketed for over a combined length of 55 feet, were measured at 57'11 and the police officer said we need to buy a permit.
That doesn't seem right (according to AAA).

Illinois
Total length: 60 feet (excludes safety and energy conservation devices); trailer length: 42 feet (includes bumpers); width: 102 inches; height: 13 feet 6 inches.

SOURCE: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-dimensions/
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been my experience with cops that either they ignore you or they write you a ticket. It does not matter if they are right or not.
It is your problem to go to court and straighten it out or pay the fines. Georgia is a great example of this. If your out of state, they will give you some ridiculous speeding ticket for like
87 to 90 in a 75. They add on more if you don't want to have your insurance pick it up so it tends to be around at least 400 dollars.
Their law says up to 1000 dollars on a speeding ticket.

I am just under 80 feet and over 114 wide" and they never look twice. Went from SC to Mid FL and from there to KS. 1500 miles.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 801 Likes on 369 Posts

What do you tow with that makes you 80 feet long? A limousine?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
What do you tow with that makes you 80 feet long? A limousine?
I said under 80 feet. I think it's actually 77 or 78 when I checked it in FL with our Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Dually.

This is behind a Dodge 450 4x4 when we bought it.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipper
This is something I have been wandering about. Several of the boats the wife and I have been looking at are 38' or longer. Two weight more than 10,000 pounds including the trailer the boat is on. One boat is 10'6" beam so I know that I will have to get a wife load sign and permit for that.
Question I have is we have looked at a used Sportchassis, will that change what license I need?

Thanks
Flipper
does the sport chassis have air brakes? my 650 does and some say need cdl [ the ones who write tickets ] others say rec vehicle and ok with c lic. I gave up the worry every time I passed a cop and got a cdl also if you tow a bobcat or tractor u loose the rec vehicle loop hole. it sucks to plead with a cop not to write you a no cdl ticket. they can also say fine no ticket but get a cdl drive to continue on your journey as for the length issue only 1 small sign and I think its on the way out by the end but its posted. I bought the season permit for 3 years at like 125 a year and never had to show it to anybody asked a couple of the cops that hang out there and they said its only there truck guy ps supposedly he works mon-fri supposedly
Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know if a non-commercial class A license (RV's and race rigs) is still subject to zero tolerance alcohol rules the same as a commercial class A (CDL)

Used to have a CDL, gave it up, dont want to be in a situation where I cant have a beer when I go out to dinner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.