Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
On the subject of Safety.....and flames >

On the subject of Safety.....and flames

Notices

On the subject of Safety.....and flames

Old 11-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just point out, the MTI with Randy Kent and Reggie Fountain lll lit up as well with Piston Engines.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 142 Posts

How many of the turbine boat fires have been the turbines themselves and not the rigging that caused the fire???? I don't think it has been many. If all of the rigging was done on the up and up following FAA protocol and guidelines, I doubt many of these fires would have happened. The problem is that it is hard to find a crossover guy who can rig a boat during the day and go to his night job at Bombardier to hang engines. The turbine boat guys need an aircraft guy to stand over their shoulders and say "Nope, it cant be done like that, find another way."

Last edited by 302Sport; 11-15-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Kings11
Just point out, the MTI with Randy Kent and Reggie Fountain lll lit up as well with Piston Engines.
yup... They broke engine mount bolts, pinched a water line and as a result the hot header was leaning against the fiberglass... But they saved it...
Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Registered

Was just pointing out it can happen with any engine system, reason the Halon systems are in the piston boats to begin with.

I'
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Kings11
Was just pointing out it can happen with any engine system, reason the Halon systems are in the piston boats to begin with.

I'
Halon works but you also need an electrical system capable of shutting down fuel delivery, any fans/airflow when the sensors detect flame/heat etc..
Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Registered

I spent about 8+ years working in the field for GE PS, worst was a 7FA main line gas leak caused by an improper sized gasket, took out most of the enclosure

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
Correct. Toshiba HP upgrade. It was years ago but I remember when coverted to horsepower it went from about 750,000hp to just over 1 million horsepower. I wanna say it was a 2 month project.

I've seen the aftermath of lots of gas turbine explosions but the doghouses usually contain it. Worst I've seen was a steam turbine that took out the turbine deck, walls, and most of the building above it.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears the score's 1:1 then

Rich, the Copeland boat you referenced was not burned down, rather there was a fire but the boat was not totaled and it ran after that incident once again.

This place is getting to be more and more like the liberal media creating the news rather than reporting it.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered

I heard the fire supression system in may mac accidentally discharged, and was the reason for the "smoke". Maybe Arruda can confirm.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
It appears the score's 1:1 then

Rich, the Copeland boat you referenced was not burned down, rather there was a fire but the boat was not totaled and it ran after that incident once again.

This place is getting to be more and more like the liberal media creating the news rather than reporting it.
According to Tony Caligure the boat was a total loss....the OTHER Copeland turbine Skater was repaired after it caught on fire (there were two).

P.S neither of these is the current turbine record attempt hull.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Gonna have to go ahead and agree... Lot's of complaints with minimal solutions on various subjects. :-(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.