Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain, Outerlimits, Phantom.. Has anyone ever wind tunnel tested a V Hull ? >

Fountain, Outerlimits, Phantom.. Has anyone ever wind tunnel tested a V Hull ?

Notices

Fountain, Outerlimits, Phantom.. Has anyone ever wind tunnel tested a V Hull ?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Actually I was being sarcastic. ( I thought funny)

On the other hand at least our pointy end remains at the front of the boat when cornering. It's a V-bottom boat and hydrodynamics come in to play much more than aerodynamics. We've figured out hydrodynamics.

Uh, ain't the pointy end always in the front? If it's now in the back, you're basically now................... just heading thata way
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smiklos@sunprint
My team has. We started using an airboat with a Cadillac engine and smoke flares and moved to CFD with some help of some GOOD friends! Steve
I'm trying to visualize this. My mind keeps running wild with "What could possibly go wrong?"

Need photos!!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
The Ockie V24 was largely created in a wind tunnel. Search it on the Ockie Mannerfelt site.
The B28 spent some time in the tunnel as well. Ocke is very serious about design...
Attached Thumbnails Fountain, Outerlimits, Phantom.. Has anyone ever wind tunnel tested a V Hull ?-b28wind2.jpg   Fountain, Outerlimits, Phantom.. Has anyone ever wind tunnel tested a V Hull ?-b28wind3.jpg   Fountain, Outerlimits, Phantom.. Has anyone ever wind tunnel tested a V Hull ?-b28vortices.jpg  

Fountain, Outerlimits, Phantom.. Has anyone ever wind tunnel tested a V Hull ?-b28wind1.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E Colby
I wrote an article for Boating Magazine on the Wind tunnel testing that Baja did at University of Michigan on a scale model. They did implement some of what they found on their Poker Face Poker Run boat, which I believe was a 35' Outlaw. I just tried to search boatingmag.com for an archive, but found nothing. Basically it helped them with deck hatch design and in refining the faring and some other deck angles.
Eric, having been the guy that designed the hull and deck lines for the 35 Outlaw I can tell you now that no results from the wind testing that was conducted on the 30 Outlaw scale model ever affected the 35 OL design. Bill Regan may have told you differently for your article, but he was full of PR BS. We also did some very expensive full scale (wing) testing on a 30 Outlaw that yeilded no results.

In some less documented observations we did notice Baja models like the Hammer and 212 Islander that shared the same hull design and power that the open bow Islander could be as much as 3-4 mph slower with the full windshield, & wind drag on all the seating than the closed bow model with a (windscreen) Hammer. We also found that many models like the 302 with a molded rear transom often tended to be a little faster than the same hull with a flat transom design like 29 Outlaw.

XT

Last edited by XT-Innovator; 11-16-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:27 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking its odd that no one is mentioning how the disturbed air is reintroduced has a large effect on drag. bustles, swim platforms etc.