Notices

what's going on

Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default what's going on

What's going on with boat prices? How can everyone be asking way more than what the book prices are? I have been looking at boats for over a year now, 31-35ft and 99% are them are way over what book is. None of us pay way over book for the cars we drive everyday! I have been looking at scarab's,outlaws,fountains,nordics etc. Dealers/private it doesn't matter,banks are barley giving money out as it is then ask 20k more than book! I don't get it!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the selection of clean, used power boats has really dried up since 2008-2009
Old 12-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlange
I think the selection of clean, used power boats has really dried up since 2008-2009
Agreed. Pier 57 sent me the flyer wanting clean used mercury powered boats a few times this year. Seems like most of the stuff out there is junk and the good ones are bringing decent money. Supply and demand. I think it also has to do with the price of new boats also driving the used prices up. When a new boat that used to cost 200k new now costs 400k, the used boat priced high at 175k now looks like a deal.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered

Rbesola hit it on the head. Supply and demand dictate price and most people are keeping their "old" boats and updating or repowering vs buying new because of the steep price increases.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

AMEN to all of you

I looked for a number of years for a Cobalt- the availability of a clean and gently used boat was VERY rare. All of the boats that I found were a mess. Owners never did any required maintenance, they were not kept clean, scratches in the gelcoat, outdrive and props that have hit everything under the sun. It drove me nuts to see people buy a new boat and then just trash it. The cost of a used boat is going thru the roof- Because there are a few that keep a boat clean, well maintained and used not abused.

3pointstar
Old 12-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that there is a wide range of prices out there and those that are priced decent sell. My 2007 35 Fountain is priced at low NADA on a trailer and is in better condition than 99% of them out there and many people call and say it is overpriced. Considering what others I have seen, it is priced right. If mine doesn't sell, the others out there should not sell either, unless one is not looking for a clean boat.

Three years ago, I looked for 15 months at over 30 boats, and I would say 27 of them I would have rated less than a 5 on a 1-10 scale.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dlange
Originally Posted by Rbesola
Agreed. Pier 57 sent me the flyer wanting clean used mercury powered boats a few times this year. Seems like most of the stuff out there is junk and the good ones are bringing decent money. Supply and demand. I think it also has to do with the price of new boats also driving the used prices up. When a new boat that used to cost 200k new now costs 400k, the used boat priced high at 175k now looks like a deal.
I agree with these sentiments.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Book value for a boat. Ha!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered

BV for a boat is almost non existent - especially with Performance boats. Way too many variables in particular as a boat ages & there is a diminishing supply. Yeah - a banker has to have something to use as a base or regulators would be all over them. Typically a consumer lender (bank or CU) has zero clue about the boat market or the collateral they are taking if outside of their normal course of business (autos, ATV, Ag Equipment, etc). If a buyer finds a clean boat, well maintained, etc. and seller won't sell at any less than $20K-$30K more than say NADA then the buyer would need to buck up w/the extra $$ down to fall within bank policy if they felt the well conditioned boat was worth it. I'd think it would be something to consider as quality/clean used boats are becoming rare. Buyers/sellers determine the MV. Hard to pin point a BV on Performance Boats. BV just satisfies lenders so they have a documented way to measure LTV with bank policy.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

if you look there are some deals out there. just got to find the one for you, some peoples clean is def dif from others,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.