Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What was it like before the internet? >

What was it like before the internet?

Notices

What was it like before the internet?

Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

It must be difficult being a kid these days. In the old days you could hide stuck together pages under the bed. now adays I would guess it would be a little more difficult to keep mom from figuring out why the mouse is sticky...
Old 12-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
It must be difficult being a kid these days. In the old days you could hide stuck together pages under the bed. now adays I would guess it would be a little more difficult to keep mom from figuring out why the mouse is sticky...
you still using a mouse, i upgraded to a rat. lol
Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 146 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Assimilation by Electron

It can be quite a drug
If I was college age or younger it would be damn near impossible to resist total submission.

I've tried to manage it as just another tool, generally take what I can use and leave the rest.
Always felt beepers were being waaay too connected to suit me, but obvious advantages for some.

It takes a lot of energy to resist it.

My technologically-challenged mother could never even figure out how to record a phone message on her answering machine.
She was proud of the fact that she'd never even been in a video rental store.

Different strokes...

Originally Posted by bulletbob
I have fought cell phones and computers from day one. I do like the internet ,but, could easily live without it. I finally got a cell phone a couple of years back and with the exception of portability I could live without that also.
Now my gripe about the cell phones. The last three women from 18 to 43 years of age (I'm 46) all coveted their phones so much that they wanted to take them to bed. That's where I draw the line. If your (woman or man) are so dependant on your phone you need counsuling (most do these days). Cell phones have made dating easier and more dificult at the same time. If you can't dedicate an hour or two of your precious cell time to me (sans phone) then your not the woman for me.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

At 46 I have a one strike rule then your out. If you interupt our conversation to text someone while we are out on a date I will get up and walk out in a SECOND! I have left more than one with the bill. I have yet to find one woman I couldn't live without. Lol
Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bulletbob
.... The last three women from 18 to 43 years of age (I'm 46) all coveted their phones so much that they wanted to take them to bed. .....
You are aware that most cell phones also take pics?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,421 Likes on 793 Posts

And video.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We all had a compass and a chart...and we new how to use them. we marked our courses that we ran regularly on the charts with a pencil and a straight edge/protractor and wrote the course bearing for both directions on the chart. If you didn't learn this here in South Florida and the Bahamas you phucked up a lot of props and lower units of drives...because you ran aground or hit reefs!!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
You are aware that most cell phones also take pics?
Yep. I'm not photo worthy though. lol. I would love to have the latest camera phone, but I don't want to pay for a service plan. I have a LG slider that works excellent where I live on my lake. I sit in front of three computers ALL day. The last thing I want is more computer time after I'm off the clock.
I agree that all this technology is like crack to the general population (weak minded). 5 phucktards were all over three lanes of traffic on my 30 mile commute home last week. I think this is Darwinism kicking in to thin the herd, which I am fine with, until you drag or ram into me or my family. Then it's...............
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Lol I remember my bagphone well. That thing stayed in the car because it was too big of a pain to carry around. I remember my first handheld cellphone too, a cheap plastic brick-sized thing that cost nearly $200/month for pretty much the convience of having it using maybe 120 minutes of talk time. I don't miss those or my pager I had.

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
and/or drove many miles, sometimes across multiple states, to go see boats at the larger dealerships...
I still do. In the last few weeks I've been to a bunch of bigger dealerships in the Chicago and Lake of the Ozarks. While the internet is handy, I'd rather go to the dealerships because when your there looking for something in particular they realize your serious and will dig deeper to find leads on what you want.

I'm still living kinda old school. Live 20+ miles from any Wal-Mart or major grocery store, strangers happily wave at each other while driving here, and a traffic jam is being stuck behind a combine on a narrow country road. The joys of living/growing up in a small rural farming community.