Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Newbie question-280zt Checkmate-what's it worth >

Newbie question-280zt Checkmate-what's it worth

Notices

Newbie question-280zt Checkmate-what's it worth

Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, the bottom line is this: what's it worth to you? Based on the responses here (and I'll add my +1 to them), it seems like you've found a solid boat with good maintenance history and what seems to be a responsible owner. The 502 is a great motor as long as you take care of it, and it should move that hull pretty well. Get a good survey including a compression and leakdown test on the 502; if it all checks out and you're OK with what it doesn't have (no trailer, previously bottom painted), throw him an offer of $20K. Personally, a solid maintenance record and "pride of ownership" is worth a bit more - lots of junk out there!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Registered

Looks as though the boat was well taken care of and documented to prove it. Nada doesn't reflect a boat that has that option. Lol. I am a boat dealer and was involved with the largest checkmate dealer. Would you find a cheaper checkmate later in the winter? Maybe, however it might be junk. The sanity of knowing this boat was well taken care of is worth every penny. With that said anything can happen at any time. You never know when something is going to let go no matter how well it was taken care of. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Registered

Thank you all for your knowledge here. Will have the survey done and will sea trial the boat after that.

Really appreciate all of your insight!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
Looks as though the boat was well taken care of and documented to prove it. Nada doesn't reflect a boat that has that option. Lol. I am a boat dealer and was involved with the largest checkmate dealer. Would you find a cheaper checkmate later in the winter? Maybe, however it might be junk. The sanity of knowing this boat was well taken care of is worth every penny. With that said anything can happen at any time. You never know when something is going to let go no matter how well it was taken care of. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Well said SVL . I paid well over NADA for my Checkmate. But it was a single owner boat. Never spent a night in the water. Serviced by a very reputable Checkmate dealer. Who sold the boat new and was personal friends with the owner. You can't put a price on the peace of mind from knowing all that.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an Idea offer him 30K with a 5 year warranty."Giggle"

Here is what looks to be a pretty nice boat for just under 25K W/trailer. looks like a real classic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-HALLETT...wer_Motorboats

email Scott
[email protected]

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 01-01-2014 at 12:18 PM.