Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do? >

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Notices

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Old 01-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
You've mentioned the costs of rebuilding the engines but so far haven't mentioned what the mechanic is charging to r+r the engines from the boat. Is it possible this new amount includes both the mechanics labor and the machine shops labor? If not, that's likely to be the next issue you'll need to address.
Sorry been out of town all week working, I'll see if I have time while I'm home today to try to get a pic of the invoices. All the prices I've said are only for the machine shop's costs that the mechanic is passing along to me under his invoices. I am paid up for everything he has done at this point including the initial diagnostics, removal, tear down, and even some fiberglass work that I had him get done while we had it all torn apart as well as all the parts he said he would need to have when he got the engine back (new wire harness, water pick up for the intercooler, etc.) so this is nothing else except the machine shop dis-assembly, cleaning, magnaflux, and all the machining work and engine assembly assembly using the stock crank, block, and heads. One head was bad so it was replaced, not contesting that charge either, if it's cracked, it's cracked. I'll see if I can get the invoices posted up guys.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ROB FREEMAN;4052380]and they got youre boat so u have to pay that bullchit .. mechanics lien .. legal theft[/QUOTE

They do have my boat but I am paid up to him in full with the exception being this engine work. He has no mechanics lien anywhere in anything he has given to me nor have I ever once signed any of the invoices or any other documents from him. Obviously they were aware this would be a surprise to me as the voicemail they left me said I should be sitting down before listening to it, also told me there would be no type of warranty at all on it when I asked about that as well. I can go to the lake right now and hook to it and leave without him being able to do a thing about it, and get my engine later which is probably going to be what happen. On a side note, anyone willing to give me some reputable names I could take it all to to get it rigged back in the boat and finished up?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

dude, pull your blower and your boat out of there, buy a scott shafiroff 700hp 540 for $10,950.. just add a carb and ignition and you have new engine, not rebuilt. here is a link http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/540_ultrastreet.php

hre is a video of their facility and the owners engine building philosophy,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mzs_2mhxE
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=tajinate;4055450]
Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
and they got youre boat so u have to pay that bullchit .. mechanics lien .. legal theft[/QUOTE

They do have my boat but I am paid up to him in full with the exception being this engine work. He has no mechanics lien anywhere in anything he has given to me nor have I ever once signed any of the invoices or any other documents from him. Obviously they were aware this would be a surprise to me as the voicemail they left me said I should be sitting down before listening to it, also told me there would be no type of warranty at all on it when I asked about that as well. I can go to the lake right now and hook to it and leave without him being able to do a thing about it, and get my engine later which is probably going to be what happen. On a side note, anyone willing to give me some reputable names I could take it all to to get it rigged back in the boat and finished up?
Eddie Young ( YOUNG PERFORMANCE ) is your Huckleberry if you want it done right!! Hasnt done any work for me personally ( YET ) but when the time comes I'm taking a road trip!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I thought I got screwed! You could have got new parts for the whole deal and bigger engine. But I'm curious did the procharger have everything or just head unit. If it was just unit that would add a few thousand for everything but not 8000 over. I'm in the boat repair business and if it's over 50 bucks we call the customer and the problem is rather or not you signed anything he has possession of the boat. I'm in Oklahoma so I don't know how it works in Missouri but here I can sell your boat in about 45 days. You could come with every cop in the state and still wouldn't get your boat. Do what the guy above said and just get your stuff. It's a select few of these guys who make it terrible for us who have a good name. We get a lot of customers who are gun shy when they walk in but are super happy by the time they leave. I used to have a mechanic that we used part time (we do fiberglass and custom paint) he would quote me a price and then try to double it at the end. Now we get it in writing. Some people don't care how long they are in business and have screwing someone before they get the sign on the door. Another good one down here is the your battery needs to be replaced. When they do that the shop gets markup and 9.00 a battery. I'm so sick of people screwing each other especially the boat industry we are supposed to be family.....
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=tajinate;4055450]
and they got youre boat so u have to pay that bullchit .. mechanics lien .. legal theft[/QUOTE

If you can truly go hook to your boat .Go do that and get it home before you argue about the rest.Signed workorder or not ,as has been said, the shop can hold your boat for charges due .And your motor does belong to that boat ,which owes the bill .The boat owes that bill no matter who owns it
Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=motor;4055955]
Originally Posted by tajinate

If you can truly go hook to your boat .Go do that and get it home before you argue about the rest.Signed workorder or not ,as has been said, the shop can hold your boat for charges due .And your motor does belong to that boat ,which owes the bill .The boat owes that bill no matter who owns it
tell him your going to have the bilge painted before he installs your engine... that way he probably wont fight with you about moving the boat...

then go back a day later and tell him you want to send out the blower for new seals and bearings cuz your buds tell you it would be stupid to put it on top of your new 16,000 dollar engine... then run like helll

Last edited by ratman; 01-12-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Where's the invoice? I won't comment any further until that is shown. Something seems funny here. Just no way to add it up to that much.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you never signed a work/ repair order I don't see how you are liable for anything. In MD if the customer doesn't sign anything they are not liable for anything done. If that was the case a business could do whatever they want to your boat and hand you a Bill for $80,000 and you would have to pay it. If you didn't sign anything go pick your boat up. If he doesn't let you pick it up then you will have to go through the courts to get it back cause its a civil matter and the police can't do anything about it unless a judge orders it. On a side note like everyone else has said you can build one heck of a motor for $16000.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

[QUOTE=tajinate;4055450]

Give Myrick at Nauti Marine a call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.