Notices

Bimini Excursion

Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by noli

The FL Powerboat Club may have a minimum boat length requirement in order to make the crossing with them.

Also, check your insurance coverage on your boat for leaving the US waters.

I'd do it regardless

sounds like fun!

Does anyone know the minimum length? It sounds like an awesome trip!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 341 Posts

the 2013 event says 35 feet minimum, but it may have changed. Am I on the right website?

http://www.flpowerboat.com/bahamas-poker-run.html

The Bahamas Poker Run is the oldest and longest running event in the history of Florida Powerboat Club, having first launched from Sunny Isles Marina in summer 1992. This event is open to all boats in the FPC membership with a minimum of 35 feet and twin engines. Participants have the option of a four-day or six-day Bahamas excursion.

Then under Mandatory Entry Requirements in fine print it says:

2. Registered boats may be approximately 25-80 feet in length, and must be fully insured with liability coverages. A proof of insurance must be submitted in the form of a declaration page. (Detailed and accurate engine data, horesepower and performance specifications must also be submitted to company officials.)

Perhaps Jackie can clarify.

will be fun to bring along some underwater camera too!

Last edited by noli; 01-17-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were jsut looking for a group to head over with and kinda lead the way you could just tag along and not "officially" be registered in the poker run. You just have to make your own plans and accomodations thats all.

An underwater camera would be nice but how bout something like this, its a DJI Phantom Quadcopter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30HDdocMyAk
Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM
FPC Events
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We really just require two + engines. But let's be honest, bigger is better in some cases! You can't plan or predict the weather and a boat under 30 ft would be more likely to have issues in unexpected weather.

I would suggest a boat that is 20-30 ft just enjoy a trip to the keys rather than crossing the gulf.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:22 AM
Registered

Yes, I have genny, and AC, and vacuflush... so I plan to sleep on the boat. I stay on it a lot actually.

The only problem is a gas genny, and letting it run all night. Normally i run it till midnight or so, to cool and dehumidify the cabin, then crack the hatches, and run a fan biring in the night air.

If on shore power its 68 degrees all night long! ha.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
Going with a buddy so we won't be making the trip solo, but would like to run with a group if possible that knows the way. Maybe even contact Formula to see when they'll be doing their photo shoot and follow them across as I believe they stay at the Sands too.
It is a straight shot across, Bimini Sands entrance is at N25 42.637 W79 18.367, but if you start at Gov cut you can do it with a compass. I recommend an on board plotter of some sort the built in maps are helpful in the shallow areas over there and get a back up waterproof GPS floating DSC VHF, that way if your main plotter dies you can use the waypoints in the VHF and if you sink you can call for help with the DSC radio. a compass is also good to have for backup. Also you have to register the DSC radio which is easy to do online, I have this one: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...d/default.aspx

As long as the wind is not blowing over 10 from the N or E or over 15 from the S or W it will be pretty flat out there. Also it can be rougher closer to Miami depending on tides and other factors sometimes it gets better about 10 miles out. Leave early in the morning and it will be calmer, 7:30 is early enough since customs won't be open if you get there to early.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a near ideal crossing done coming back on Sep 1st
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmsqh...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

And another one in May 2010. 110 degrees @ 65 MPH. Haulover Inlet to Bimini = 45 minutes.

IMG_2894 by bobthebuilder707, on Flickr

Maybe this pic belongs in the flattest water thread. LOL

IMG_2895 by bobthebuilder707, on Flickr
Old 01-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Bob, any pictures of the trip back in Nov. in the new boat, you said it was bad?
Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

We are taking a couple Nor-techs over to bimini next week. I can't wait. I've had my fill of the polar vortex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.