Notices

Bimini Excursion

Old 01-18-2014, 06:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wananewboat
Bob, any pictures of the trip back in Nov. in the new boat, you said it was bad?
Not a single picture. The good camera was packed away where it would not get wet and my cell was soaked and would not work. We were 2 CC's running side by side and could not even see each others Bimini tops when we were both in a trough with a crest between us. I was estimating 10' that day. My first crossing in 1990 was true 15 ftrs in a 35' Fountain before I knew what the hell I was doing. LOL

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 01-18-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 242 Likes on 94 Posts

Bob.... I remember a trip over in the month of May with my 38 foot Magnum. I was feeliing a bit over equipped as I remembered, when Brownie and some of the other guys would deliver 16 foot Donzi's to Nassau customers on their own bottoms.

Anyway, beautiful trip over weather wise and wave wise....HOWEVER, on the way back I was climbing the face of the waves and at the top, the boat would just drop over the other side and roller coaster into the trough.

I made a game of watching the tachs drop and drop as the boat really worked to climb the faces of the waves, to help pass the time. Don't know how fast I was going but I do remember passing a 60 foot Hatteras sportsfisherman and waving to him. He didn't look happy.

Of course the many Bacardi races that went from Miami to Bimini and back were done in everything from calm to force 5 conditions.

For the new people......Great trip, just prepare well and do it, you won't be sorry.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1,004 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by rchuntlsl
We are taking a couple Nor-techs over to bimini next week. I can't wait. I've had my fill of the polar vortex.
I was at the beach today and you could see offshore the waves were big in the distance! A whole line of sportfishes were fishing just inside the stream......
Old 01-18-2014, 10:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Bob.... I remember a trip over in the month of May with my 38 foot Magnum. I was feeliing a bit over equipped as I remembered, when Brownie and some of the other guys would deliver 16 foot Donzi's to Nassau customers on their own bottoms.

Anyway, beautiful trip over weather wise and wave wise....HOWEVER, on the way back I was climbing the face of the waves and at the top, the boat would just drop over the other side and roller coaster into the trough.

I made a game of watching the tachs drop and drop as the boat really worked to climb the faces of the waves, to help pass the time. Don't know how fast I was going but I do remember passing a 60 foot Hatteras sportsfisherman and waving to him. He didn't look happy.

Of course the many Bacardi races that went from Miami to Bimini and back were done in everything from calm to force 5 conditions.

For the new people......Great trip, just prepare well and do it, you won't be sorry.
Someday Charlie we have to sit down and trade stories again. I enjoyed our visit a few years ago at one of the runs. When you speak of climbing the face of those waves it brought back memories of that day in 1990 where we had those kind of conditions. We had to throttle up to climb the face but pull back before hitting the crest or we would fall off the top into a cavern and wonder if the boat was going to break in half. We mastered the art tho of climbing the face and sliding down the backside rather nicely. Some crazy stuff and we are still here to talk about it.

For those considering crossing the Gulf Stream to Bahamas just be aware that it can change from rather nice to very nasty in a matter of hours if the wind swings around and starts blowing out of the north. Read this as there are some lessons there that will keep you alive to tell about your trip. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...story-2-a.html
The lessons I learned back then still apply today. Happy and safe boating. Once you get there the rewards are great as you will then experience the most beautiful boating waters you will find anywhere.

Bob
Old 01-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,982 Likes on 785 Posts

This is a trip I've been wanting to do for yrs. Actually looking at West End Grand Bahama.

I planned on staying on the hook but worried about leaving the boat alone and assumed I should have my gun every where I go???

On the the changing weather/sea conditions, is it normally nicer early morning if you were making plans??
I remember being weathered in on Lake Erie for 3 days before realizing that there was a 2 or 3 hr window of calm in the morning. We watched 2 boats of our crew, leave the 2nd day and get the hell beat out of them before weathering in on a island.
We left early the next morning, ran 60 MPH all the way across Lake Erie and beat the earlier group home.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-19-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 1,004 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
This is a trip I've been wanting to do for yrs. Actually looking at West End Grand Bahama.

I planned on staying on the hook but worried about leaving the boat alone and assumed I should have my gun every where I go???
A. West End is nice but not much to do outside Old Bahama Bay resort (expensive, only 2 restaurants).
B. Gun has to stay aboard the boat, it isn't allowed on land (big trouble if they catch you with it)
C. Once you see the yachts, the sportfishes with 100k in rods/reels and the dinghies that cost 150k then you will realize that theft/robbery won't a problem for you (you aren't a rich enough target!)
Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

On the the changing weather/sea conditions, is it normally nicer early morning if you were making plans??
I remember being weathered in on Lake Erie for 3 days before realizing that there was a 2 or 3 hr window of calm in the morning. We watched 2 boats of our crew, leave the 2nd day and get the hell beat out of them before weathering in on a island.
We left early the next morning, ran 60 MPH all the way across Lake Erie and beat the earlier group home.
Yes early morning is usually best. Often the daytime heating gets the winds moving and things tend to kick up. The direction of the wind plays a factor as well.

As far as guns go I have travelled the Bahamas and Caribbean without one and never once felt endangered. They must be reported upon entering the Bahamas and there are regulations you should make yourself familiar with. I do believe tho that you are more at risk if you anchor out overnight. I make a point of being tied up in a marina every night so less exposure that way.

Bob
Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We also have been looking at doing a trip !!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,982 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Yes early morning is usually best. Often the daytime heating gets the winds moving and things tend to kick up. The direction of the wind plays a factor as well.

As far as guns go I have travelled the Bahamas and Caribbean without one and never once felt endangered. They must be reported upon entering the Bahamas and there are regulations you should make yourself familiar with. I do believe tho that you are more at risk if you anchor out overnight. I make a point of being tied up in a marina every night so less exposure that way.

Bob
Thanks Bob.

I am used to/prefer the solitude at the hook but used to it from up north.
The more I thought about for over there, would likely put me off the beaten path w/little to no security. We hear enough of the stories from the fishermen around here to make you nervous.

That pirated sport fish boat wasn't that long ago. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thanks Bob.

I am used to/prefer the solitude at the hook but used to it from up north.
The more I thought about for over there, would likely put me off the beaten path w/little to no security. We hear enough of the stories from the fishermen around here to make you nervous.

That pirated sport fish boat wasn't that long ago. Thanks again.
Be sure to log and write about your adventure when you go. I enjoyed reading about your trip into the Keys and I know many others did as well.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.