Getting caught in the dark.

Notices

Getting caught in the dark.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buck183
Confused.

When you say you got "caught in the dark" do you mean your navigation lights weren't working?
No, i mean dark as in you can't see. If the nav lights didn't work i would have stayed there.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck183
I'm still REALLY confused by the original post. The only reason I could see using the words "caught in the dark" would be if my lights weren't working. If that wasn't the case then something is definitely wrong. We stay at restaurants late on purpose to wait for the sun to set so we can run in the dark. And get this, that's WITH our kids in the boat.

We consider night boating a privilege in my world.

Maybe if he was driving an Active Thunder that he considers to be too slow for a performance boat things would be safer for him running at night. Yeah I went there.

Buck
I run in the dark at the lake I'm familiar with but in the Chesapeake Bay they have really narrow channels and if you go out of the markers like 12 ft your gonna hit sand. And I wasn't trying to offend anyone with the other thread. Sorry you were offended and "Really Confused".
Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boating at night can be dangerous but familiarity with where you are boating is key I believe. I would never go out where I don't know the water very well. That said, I like to go out at dark every now and then.

If it is not cloudy and the moon is near full, you can see quite well after your eyes adjust. Like others have said, cover your dash or do what is nessessary to keep your eyes away from any light.

Water conditions is another consideration. If debris is common, I would not want to run very fast.

All this said, I went to a fireworks display and motored back to my home port afterwards one year and there was no moon out. I could not see a damn thing. Lake Cumberland is a river lake and there is a channel that is deeper than the water along the banks. I followed the river channel by keeping an eye on the water debth. I was going slow and standing when my mother-in-law got up and stood beside me. She looked out and asked how I could see?

She was not too happy when I told her how I was navigating. I knew the water depths perfectly and was very familiar with the area.

I have seen boats run aground at considerable speed using their GPS and cloudy conditions made them less accurate.

I think the speeds you run are more important than how well you see. I just take my time and enjoy the ride
Old 01-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 1,421 Likes on 793 Posts

Around here there are lots of boats anchored without lights, how do you keep from running into them if you don't have radar or some type of night Vision?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

Full moon clear skys no wind ,no bridge closings or work?YES!Fog ,rain,windy NO!Lighted markers work but few to many
Old 01-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing
I have extensive experience running at night in the military, law enforcement and my personal boat. First and foremost the rules of the road come into play with proper lights and shapes, maintaining safe speed and a proper lookout. Secondly Night Vision Goggles (NVG’s) amplify the available ambient light and any setting with a lot of backlight such as coastlines near cities, NVG’s are totally useless because they will white out. Also once you use NVG’s you lose your natural night vision. NVG’s are only good for areas with very little light. FLIR works best in most all situations except fog and smoke but a Raytheon handheld is about $7,500-$10,000. Some companies offer deck mounted FLIR and they work great in flat water like the ICW or a marina but in any situation involving wave movement they suck because the field of view keeps moving because the boat is rocking. Without any fancy gadgets your best bet is to allow your night vision to develop. Try to avoid looking directly at any bright lights for about a half-hour after dusk. Do not turn on any of your cockpit or helm/gage lights to retain your night vision. You can also cover one eye if you must turn a light on and that eye will retain the night vision after you turn the light off. If you have regular binoculars they actually work quite well at night, especially moon light nights. GPS is fairly accurate but only to the last USCG survey of the area. I would never trust a GPS to guide me through unfamiliar waters where tight maneuvering around any underwater obstructions. Lastly nothing beats local knowledge.
Excellent post.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

I used to cross Long Island Sound at night practically every weekend when I was younger. You get he knack of it after a while and also learn to read the compass (this is before GPS units). I really had to pay attention to the lighting on the tugs, some of them were pulling POORLY LIT BARGES with a long cable. That friggin cable would decapitate you in a second if you didn't know what to look for. I don't know if it's urban legend or fact, but the stories of those cables and what they did to boaters put the fear in me and made me learn what to look out for.

One of the most terrifying crossings was when a squall moved in when we were about 1/3 of the way across, couldn't see the lighthouse, land, lights, moon...nothing. The seas kicked up and tossed my 21 Sea Ray around like a toy. All I remember is my bow lights lighting up the next wave that was going to crash over us as we were down in the trough. Didn't think I was going to make it out of that one, never was so happy to get into the safety of our harbor.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Around here there are lots of boats anchored without lights, how do you keep from running into them if you don't have radar or some type of night Vision?
That would be a problem. Why can't these folks hang a glow stick or use a flashlight at the very least when they hear you coming? Myself, I have an LED anchor light that runs on batteries if battery levels are an issue or I have a light failure. Once again, I think speed is the issue here, I'm not blasting down the lake. Many times I don't even get on plane.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered

Many times I don't even get on plane.[/QUOTE]
Yup those were some of my best nights on the water. Warm summer nights idling home from the restaurant just listening to music and hanging with my wife. It takes about 2-3 hours but who cares about time when the memories are priceless.[ATTACH=CONFIG]517180[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Getting caught in the dark.-img_0124.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:33 PM
bwd
Registered

Last time I knew, its the law to turn on a all round white light when anchored. Gone is boater etiquette I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.