Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Getting caught in the dark. >

Getting caught in the dark.

Notices

Getting caught in the dark.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think as easy as it is to get a light going or at least a glow stick, someone should complain to water patrol, either that or make a habit of signaling them with a flare. You should not have to buy night vision or have radar to enjoy a midnight cruise at idle speed.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI not to discount the earlier post about Nightvision but I own an electronics company and have been in the business for over 30yrs. Handheld recreational FLIRS are under $5000.00 dollars now depending on models. You can get a fixed mount hardtop install for about the same. The field of vision is 27 + 37 degrees for fixed mount cameras including the pop up. I agree in really rough seas it may be a problem but some running a 35' plus go fast would not have a problem in 2-3's. I never run over 35mph with my camera. We sell a ton of FLIRS down here in S Fl and our customers love them. I have never been told they are a waste of money. Both Cigarette and MTI buy them on a regular basis. Technology keeps changing as does pricing. Not trying to convince you to buy one just want you guys to know what is available. Some of the ones on yachts sell for as much as $75,000.00. Pricing is related to range/features/multiple payloads and stabilization.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
FYI not to discount the earlier post about Nightvision but I own an electronics company and have been in the business for over 30yrs. Handheld recreational FLIRS are under $5000.00 dollars now depending on models. You can get a fixed mount hardtop install for about the same. The field of vision is 27 + 37 degrees for fixed mount cameras including the pop up. I agree in really rough seas it may be a problem but some running a 35' plus go fast would not have a problem in 2-3's. I never run over 35mph with my camera. We sell a ton of FLIRS down here in S Fl and our customers love them. I have never been told they are a waste of money. Both Cigarette and MTI buy them on a regular basis. Technology keeps changing as does pricing. Not trying to convince you to buy one just want you guys to know what is available. Some of the ones on yachts sell for as much as $75,000.00. Pricing is related to range/features/multiple payloads and stabilization.
Can you pm me with your contact info? Id like to check that out.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sent
Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

If my memory is correct, the speed limit on the Ohio River (at least in Henderson/Evansville area) is 10mph after dark. Either way, that's what I run after dark.

...way too many alligators floating around that are almost invisible during the day!
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NautiNuff
I would think as easy as it is to get a light going or at least a glow stick, someone should complain to water patrol, either that or make a habit of signaling them with a flare. You should not have to buy night vision or have radar to enjoy a midnight cruise at idle speed.
The biggest issue isn't the buoy so much as the "debris". If you have local knowledge channels should be easy to run. It's the stuff that is out there that isn't supposed to be.

I will run on plane at night. If its clear. I also only do it with a spotlight. Not fast but just on plane.

Last edited by Crude Intentions; 01-27-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Registered

I want to add one or two of these to the boat. http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/89561
I also have a spot light that I use to scan the area around me
Old 01-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinb230
I want to add one or two of these to the boat. http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/89561
I also have a spot light that I use to scan the area around me
It's illegal to run with forward shining white lights on a boat in US Waters. Some boats have docking lights on them, but they are only for that purpose.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by easyrider1340
If my memory is correct, the speed limit on the Ohio River (at least in Henderson/Evansville area) is 10mph after dark. Either way, that's what I run after dark.

...way too many alligators floating around that are almost invisible during the day!
ive never heard of a speed limit in our pool of the ohio (louisville). but we just get barely on plane at around 2000 rpm and just go slow. i have hit a couple of logs floating just under the surface. im used to it though as it seems i hit about 1 a month in the day light. ive had them hit me just drifting before lol. the logs floating on the surface of the river dont scare me. its the monsters lurking just below the surface waiting to take an outdrive off the back of the boat. night riding is just part of a day of boating for us.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It's illegal to run with forward shining white lights on a boat in US Waters. Some boats have docking lights on them, but they are only for that purpose.
Yes. That's were a spotlight is handy. They are legal to use just not left on. Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.