Notices

Record Cold Temps

Old 01-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I winterize mine myself every year, with a easy two step process.

1st. Ship it to Miami
2nd. enjoy it all winter
Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know many stories and even watched a friend crack manifolds and engine blocks when the boat was winterized. I subscribe to the idea that winterizing is only 95% and personally I am not one to gamble even %5 on my beloved boats. I use heaters in the bilge and use a remote sensor to monitor the temps around the engines. So far this year all has been well with temps at 13° the engines are comfy at 65°F. When I get my shop built the boat will be inside a heated shop. That is my idea of winterizing.

I hope the best for all that have to winterize. It is a terrible thing for the opposite season to ruin our favorite season by way of boat damage.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I dewinterized the boat a few years back and blew the pink stuff out the exhaust when flushing it with clean water, it killed the grass and that weed (I forget the name) that nothing will kill. I couldn't get anything to grow back for a year +. Seems pretty toxic to me even though it's not supposed to be.

I'd hate to see what would have happened with the green stuff.
If you used the green stuff you'd probably have a couple nice tomato plants, a few pepper plants, and beautiful tulips growing .
Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I've been worried for weeks now. I drained entire system and filled blocks with pink RV antifreeze through the coolant sensor at the water neck. I trust it's full of pink, but it's been f*ckin cold.

I think next year, I'll use the green stuff as this has been a very strange winter for our area.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always used the pink stuff and never had issues. I'm not a big fan of waiting for the stat to open then hook up the ears, I'm always afraid the stat will close. My 350 MPI I filled manually after draining all the water. My 454's I drain what I can remove the stats and run the pink stuff. As long as it doesn't expand your good. It goes in the plastic plumbing and works fine. I think the big issue is the expansion and I believe the pink stuff does expand as water does.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
I believe the pink stuff does expand as water does.
it does not

http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.c...reeze.html?m=1
Old 01-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

Just checked my 1/4 gallon of leftover pink . Outside temps have been consistently low single digits during the day and into the below zero temps at night . Wind chills of negative 17* plus or minus . Pink antifreeze is still in liquid form . No worries .
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett
I know. Typo
Old 01-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now for those of you wanting to upgrade and the wife is saying no...

Here is a perfect excuse to do so.

"Honey the block cracked and they need to be replaced. I will sell the old motors as parts and use the money to upgrade a closed cooling system so it can't happen again."
Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aquaforce what is a safe heat source? I was going to drop a light in the engine hatch but didn't like the idea with the gas fumes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.