Notices

Record Cold Temps

Old 01-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 745 Likes on 337 Posts

Remember, wind chill temp is not a factor. Only ambient air temp, around those engines matter.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KSFLYER1
I could be wrong, but if this makes you feel any better, The idea is with the system filled all the way up, whether water, anti freeze etc, there is no room for expansion. So small pockets of residual water in the lower pores of the block-below the petcocks or drains, there should be room for the expansion. I believe the issues we all have are whether or not the pink anti freeze has displaced all of the straight water, or mixed with it to essentially raise the freeze protection in the wrong direction. My .02
exactly the concept! since the late 80's (my first IO), I have winterized by draining. last year, for the first time I cracked an exhaust manifold, pretty much made me throw up when I spotted it. I couldn't break the hose loose the previous fall and intended to return with a hook to pull it but never did, luckily I was able to get it welded. This was the only time I have ever seen any damage. I have never recommended it to anyone due to the fact that no two installations are identical and it takes someone to thoroughly inspect the entire system including all heat exchangers and plumbing to determine how to drain it completely. Mine are mid 80's gen IV 454's, I've been inside these engines and am comfortable as long as I see the water drain from the blocks. Often I have had to use a pick to unclog the drain hole but it will drain quite a bit of water, only then will I be comfortable. The manifolds are iron 496 take offs and are simple to drain by pulling the hose at the bottom(unless your an old guy). Bottom line, any remaining water after draining it this way should be negligible. The heat exchangers and plumbing I have are a breeze to drain as well. I keep the heater in there to cut down on condensation.

bobbo
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 4,620 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett

Nice find, good info!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My motor is closed cooling... I still worry about a manifold cracking right next to an open exhaust valve, dumping pink rv into the cylinder, and bending a rod when I go to start it in the spring. I think the term is "neurosis". I'm going to pull all the spark plugs in the spring. If nothing happens this winter, the coldest winter in 3 decades, I'm STILL going to buy a bilge heater for next winter. Neurosis, kids- it's nothing to play with.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Nice find, good info!
I can't claim it, it was posted in this thread a page or two back.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
My motor is closed cooling... I still worry about a manifold cracking right next to an open exhaust valve, dumping pink rv into the cylinder, and bending a rod when I go to start it in the spring. I think the term is "neurosis". I'm going to pull all the spark plugs in the spring. If nothing happens this winter, the coldest winter in 3 decades, I'm STILL going to buy a bilge heater for next winter. Neurosis, kids- it's nothing to play with.

X2 on the heater. Where can you buy a bilge heater?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Playbuoy
X2 on the heater. Where can you buy a bilge heater?
I found some on flEaBay and at the West Marine website, $200-$350, basically a computer fan in a box with a heating element and long cord, they are forced air heaters.

Made by Xtreme Heaters and BoatSafe.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 01-29-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

Not as cold down here, well until this week! But I have a work light sitting on bench seat (seat is in down position) so it's really on the framing with hatch cracked open. Light is set on timer cycles on and off every few hours. I was too lazy, but they sell a thermostat plug at Home Depot on line that comes on at 35 degrees and off at 45degrees. Will have it for next year though!

Good luck to everyone up north, we rarely see less than 32 degrees for 24 hours.

Ready for winter storm Leon to get the F$&@ out of here!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Good news! Drove out to the storage building and it is getting completely incased with snow! drifted up about 7ft around the sides and the roof has a good 3ft on it. What a great insulator. Now when the real cold temps come back (and they will) the building should not get quite as cold! Probably not a good theory but it sure sounds good to me!! We had a heat wave blow though here today got up to 20 degrees, NEVER thought 20 would sound (and feel so good). Feb. looks real bad. Maybe I will start a scrap Iron business this spring...........
Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
Good news! Drove out to the storage building and it is getting completely incased with snow! drifted up about 7ft around the sides and the roof has a good 3ft on it. What a great insulator. Now when the real cold temps come back (and they will) the building should not get quite as cold! Probably not a good theory but it sure sounds good to me!! We had a heat wave blow though here today got up to 20 degrees, NEVER thought 20 would sound (and feel so good). Feb. looks real bad. Maybe I will start a scrap Iron business this spring...........
Tell me about it, it got up to 25 here and I debated shorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.