Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives? >

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Notices

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Old 02-16-2014, 03:28 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
ladder use,,not a good idea.as for speed,we hit 78mph at 60% throttle and had to pull out of it as the water pressure on the starboard motor was heading for 40lbs.wind was strong that day and pushing starboard side down alot.ran w/ alot of tab.

Wow that is a scary sight. 78mph, unreal, thats my top speed in perfect conditions with my best prop
Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Why would anyone with a TRS go to a Konrad instead of an SSM? You've already got a trans. Is the height that much different?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
Hey Guys, I'm running a Donzi 38ZR with stock Merc 600SCI motors and I was going through XR drives 2 or 3 a season. It was ridiculous and when talking to Mercuray racing they said it was driver abuse. Anyway, made the switch to IMCO SCX Uppers and kept my merc shorty lowers and lost no speed. Oil changes at 15 hours showed oil to be like new in color and viscosity, at same interval with XR's oil was black, tried using Amsoil, Merc's Oil, Royal Purple, nothing could hold up to the heat. IMO the IMCO change is the way to go.

"driver abuse" what buttholes!

Last edited by stimleck; 02-16-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bauberlen
Hello all,
Just for some information the X Power Drive will take care of all the issues. We warranty to 1300hp for one year. We will also guarantee it will go faster then ANY other drive on the market. It will replace a bravo style drive or Imco style drive with no modifications at all. Can be up and running and free from fear of blowing a drive in a matter of a few hours. It also comes with a stainless gimble ring that we warranty for life. When have you ever heard that in the boating world. Anyways just trying to help. If I can help in any way give us a ring.

All the best,

Bill Auberlen
CEO X Power Drive
805-320-5631

[IMG][/IMG]

with all due respect why only 1 year if its so good? in some states that can be 30 hours of boating?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

A lot of talk about the upper XR's not holding up to 600 plus HP. Any issues with the lowers? And what is the torque number that it maxes out in your opinions? 540 CI and up are animals that may not have big HP but killer bottom end. I would like to hear what the weight, style, HP, blower ?, and cubic inch motors are in your boats that are blowing these drives. Lets see if we can get a handle on what some are condemning as a bad product. Lets assume we all
like to drive our boats hard.
I have a 30' vee
5000 lbs
Merc 525
502 cube "
I race the boat at WOT and don't remember ever blowing a -2" lower. Replace the gears every other year (15 races and test time) most of the time there is little wear. I have blown several units that normally were gear related but we beat the crap out of these drives and run them most of the time at 5400 RPM in the ocean.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Make sure we are talking about a XR drive and not a standard Bravo 1 or even the XZ. Big difference IMO on durability.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
A lot of talk about the upper XR's not holding up to 600 plus HP. Any issues with the lowers? And what is the torque number that it maxes out in your opinions? 540 CI and up are animals that may not have big HP but killer bottom end. I would like to hear what the weight, style, HP, blower ?, and cubic inch motors are in your boats that are blowing these drives. Lets see if we can get a handle on what some are condemning as a bad product. Lets assume we all
like to drive our boats hard.
I have a 30' vee
5000 lbs
Merc 525
502 cube "
I race the boat at WOT and don't remember ever blowing a -2" lower. Replace the gears every other year (15 races and test time) most of the time there is little wear. I have blown several units that normally were gear related but we beat the crap out of these drives and run them most of the time at 5400 RPM in the ocean.

My opinion is its not so much the fault of the drive, but what has become expected of it. I don't think merc. Ever said it would live behind the HP we have subjected it to. But boat manufacturers put them on boats that should of had 6 drives to make them affordable to us. Then when those boats wouldn't preform up to our expectations we just up the HP. We all forget this drive was to take the place of the trs not the SSM!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by KWright
My opinion is its not so much the fault of the drive, but what has become expected of it. I don't think merc. Ever said it would live behind the HP we have subjected it to. But boat manufacturers put them on boats that should of had 6 drives to make them affordable to us. Then when those boats wouldn't preform up to our expectations we just up the HP. We all forget this drive was to take the place of the trs not the SSM!
Yes but xr's are mated to 525's per mercury and they still don't last. As far as some of these other options, I can't believe people would spend 40-50k on drive upgrades to boats that are worth 100-150k. Why not just buy a boat with the upgraded hardware?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Yes but xr's are mated to 525's per mercury and they still don't last. As far as some of these other options, I can't believe people would spend 40-50k on drive upgrades to boats that are worth 100-150k. Why not just buy a boat with the upgraded hardware?
But how many of them are in hulls designed for big HP and drives. Is it really fair to put it at that much of a disadvantage, be honest now!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
And to the second part of your comment I don't know why in my case just pure stupidity I guess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.