Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives? >

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Notices

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 4,935 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Mike is getting ready for a new run of these:

Originally Posted by troper
Is there any pricing and availability yet?

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

You can get a price quote from Mike : [email protected]
Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I sent Email to Mike......
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent one out as well, I'm thinking I might be able to get these in without pulling motors. My motors are in a transmission style location so I have a little room behind them, then just the jack shafts to unbolt out of the way. This would be some nice insurance before I bolt up my new drives.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 106 Posts

Great product idea I bet a lot of us are scratching our heads wondering "why did I not think of this" ! Lol

Thanks for sharing and I hope it helps a lot of people out for a fair price with low failure/maintence
Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 106 Posts

Honestly though I do not believe this product will help enough.

Xr drives just plain wear out. There are many In land lake family boaters who NEVER get air with prematurely worn out bravo xr's.

I for one have worn out multiple upgraded pairs with very little abuse or stress. Drove as perfect as any thread has described "how to make a bravo live". This past summer I drove FAST and aggressive every day out and the drives actually lasted longer! Blows my mind also. Just like other have said the the drives are constantly breaking due to the extreme amount of torque going through them at CRUISE speed! Plus at cruise spped the boat is WET. When I ran fast all last summer I had less hull in the water.... Less drag.

No offense and great product to help. But it will do nothing for how the xr gears just plain wear out, pit, and fall apart like a M&M candy.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Just like other have said the the drives are constantly breaking due to the extreme amount of torque going through them at CRUISE speed!
I broke my last 2 drives cruising in flat water....just pisses me off to no end.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

But the question is, are the flat water breakages due to damage sustained during torque spike events and are propagated over time to failure due to fatigue? Not every torque spike will cause immediate failure but once a injury occurs, the lower constant torque from flat water cruising could be enough fatigue to finish the job of gear destruction. Time will tell if this is the truth. Right now we can only speculate because we can't see the gears until they have already failed.

Correlating the exact load (cruising/sitting still/jumping waves) when the failure occurs with the cause of the failure is not sound science and will generally lead you to the wrong conclusion. I have seen many things fail when they shouldn't have. Most of these failures stem from damage that occurred long before the failure that just wasn't enough damage to cause instant catastrophic failure.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 02-19-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If a engine makes say 500FT lbs at 4000 RPM, on a dyno, at full throttle, what would it make, at half throttle while cruising?

I dont usually follow up much on the bravo failures, as to the liquid terrain they are run on.

It might be interesting to start a thread titled ''XR failures in smooth water'', to see what kind of feedback we get. Im talking coupled to stock merc power, and used in waters where the drive never leaves the water often.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has been engineered and re-engineered to perfection and tested to satisfaction.... Glad its finally becoming available. As I know Mike, he didn't want anything less than 100% perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2Nb...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Back4More; 02-19-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,145 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Has been engineered and re-engineered to perfection and tested to satisfaction.... Glad its finally becoming available. As I know Mike, he didn't want anything less than 100% perfect.
Miss your boat yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.