Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives? >

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Notices

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I looked into #6 drives as well.
In order to accommodate the transmissions, you have to move the engine(s). This not only adds more cost and requires re-rigging but also changes the boat's balance.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 77 Likes on 27 Posts

A 38 Fountain with 525's will not need anything more then XR's. If it does,you need driving lessons,not drives.
Not trying to sound like a d!ck,but thats not a heavy boat.My 38 Formula has never blown a drive. 300 hours,and its a much heavier boat.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NautiNuff
I almost afraid to ask what they cost.
If you have a notched transom then you will have a problem too , cut & fill , drop engines ect $$$$
Old 02-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

why dont more people use Konrads as an option in the sub one thousand horse rang? Heck if i was building an 850ish thirty eight ish foot something or other it really seem like a good choice over crossing my fingers and babying a Bravo derivative. Doesnt seem to horribly expensive for what ya get either. Yes im aware they give up some speed to a smaller Bravo but its a hell of a trade off . . . .few mph for piece of mind when you put the sticks in the kitchen is ok with me.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
If you have a notched transom then you will have a problem too , cut & fill , drop engines ect $$$$
I believe you are talking about Arneson's, if so that is not true statement in every case. It is hard to see the notch but I did not have to fill in the notch on my application. It's hard to see but there is a notch and they are installed exactly where Rik wants them, 1 inch above the running surface of the boat.

Last edited by Jason3603; 02-13-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
why dont more people use Konrads as an option in the sub one thousand horse rang? Heck if i was building an 850ish thirty eight ish foot something or other it really seem like a good choice over crossing my fingers and babying a Bravo derivative. Doesnt seem to horribly expensive for what ya get either. Yes im aware they give up some speed to a smaller Bravo but its a hell of a trade off . . . .few mph for piece of mind when you put the sticks in the kitchen is ok with me.
The few guys I know with Konrad upgrades on Older Cig Top Guns, Flat Decks have had less than good luck with them. Both boats I am referring to are members boats so they can comment if they choose.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

I bought new SCX's and sold my bravo's ( before blowing them up) with the labor of installing them it ended up costing $15k.
Then ended up buying new props ( kept the old ones as spares )
and even though i only have 525's the comfort factor is priceless
Old 02-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I weighed all the options last winter on my top gun. The Konrads are a nice setup and came in just under 27k for the pair, and the arnesons right at 44k. Nice thing about the the 7m setup is the transmissions tuck into the boxes. Was also told the speed gains would be very impressive. That being said i went with #5s because of the age of the boat but if it were of higher value i wouldve went arneson hands down. The cost and maintenance of the 6s didn't seem logical for used parts but that's just what i came up with. To each their own.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an older bravo shop drive that has been very reliable, understand that they went through some troubles but are back on track. I see they are offering a one year warranty on a new bmax as long as it is 850hp or less (some other conditions)

Is anyone using the new bmax? seems like a good option that is pretty much bolt on http://www.bravoshop.net/index.php?main_page=page_3
Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts
Lightbulb

I hope I`m not letting the cat out of the bag too soon as these are still being tested but there is what I think is a great product out there to limit the TQ spikes (predetermined custom set ) that a drive sees. Its the TQ spikes that kill gears/drives.

You could essentially put the throttles to the dash in some rough water and upon re-entry (TQ spikes on a 42 Fountain with #6`s were in the 2000tq range) the Drive Guardian 'slips' to limit the TQ spike. The drive will only see the predetermined TQ, never more.

I pulled my motors to put them on but unfortunately my bellhousings did not have enough room accommodate them. (They were originally designed for NXT drives ) External cooler bellhousing should have plenty of room. I was going to have them set at 900FT/TQ. so no matter what (coming in and out of the water) my drives would never see more than 900FT/LBS of torque!

If I had a Bravo boat this would be my top choice. My buddy Mike was going thru a lot of drives and transmissions on his Fountain and decided enough is enough, came up with this and hasn`t broken anything since. The SSM version is pretty much proven, the Bravo version getting the T crossed and I`s dotted.. To me this thing is genius!!

Bravo and SSM versions:
There are a few more pieces not pictured on the SSM version
Attached Thumbnails When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?-photo.jpg   When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 02-13-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.