Mercury Racing Unveils 540 Engine >

Mercury Racing Unveils 540 Engine

Notices

Mercury Racing Unveils 540 Engine

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 758 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Here it is. More than 200 pounds lighter and available off-the-shelf right now. 30 horsepower more than the 540 as well. The higher RPM range (6000) lessens the torque load on those Bravos.

This also addresses Knot 4 Me's thirst for LS-based power.
Familiar with this motor as well as Volvo's offering. Which begs the question why won't Merc at least dip a toe in the LS pool?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
As soon as people stop buying it and go with something else!! If enough people boycotted the bravo and demanded Arneson, I'm sure Merc would do something about it. I here enough complaining on OSO about bravos, but people seem to just keep putting them on.
Because they are cheap! A new XR upper can be found for under $4,000. An Imco lower won't usually break.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Not for nothing if your constantly blowing up XR's with anything under 600hp, it isnt the drives fault...
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! (And it's not the way the drives were assembled either.) Unless you have an incredibly heavy boat, the culprit is no further away that your throttle hand (or foot.)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It is all about profit margin. These are business decisions, nothing more. The margin on a 1960s BBC is huge for Merc. Forget AL or LSx, all too expensive for Merc to start with these.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 290 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
It is all about profit margin. These are business decisions, nothing more. The margin on a 1960s BBC is huge for Merc. Forget AL or LSx, all too expensive for Merc to start with these.
very correct. Decisions on what/how to sell is not done by engineers it is done by marketing. Marketing tells eng how, when and what they want to explode and they back it into the product for us to discover later . . . .

Its not that the LS platform is to expensive to switch to. Its that it is to reliable. Hell even right off the GM parts shelf its pretty robust. Merc would have to find a way to put old school rods and pistons in the thing. Maybe some crappy Chinese import stuff lol . . . . dumbing the thing down would be expensive
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-14-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! (And it's not the way the drives were assembled either.) Unless you have an incredibly heavy boat, the culprit is no further away that your throttle hand (or foot.)
Yeah, but if I have 5 fat girls and feel like firewalling the throttle at every no wake zone, thats my perogative.

And FWIW, the drive "should" be able to take it. If I slide my foot off the clutch in a new vette I will bet that it wont break...
Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Here it is. More than 200 pounds lighter and available off-the-shelf right now. 30 horsepower more than the 540 as well. The higher RPM range (6000) lessens the torque load on those Bravos.

This also addresses Knot 4 Me's thirst for LS-based power.
what's the difference in $$$$? how many dollars per HP???? haven't seen or heard of any of these in new boats...what gives?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Volvo has the right idea:

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta...es/V8-430.aspx
Old 02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
very correct. Decisions on what/how to sell is not done by engineers it is done by marketing. Marketing tells eng how, when and what they want to explode and they back it into the product for us to discover later . . . .

Its not that the LS platform is to expensive to switch to. Its that it is to reliable. Hell even right off the GM parts shelf its pretty robust. Merc would have to find a way to put old school rods and pistons in the thing. Maybe some crappy Chinese import stuff lol . . . . dumbing the thing down would be expensive

apologies for the hijack, but who is a god builder of LSx engines?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by noli
apologies for the hijack, but who is a god builder of LSx engines?

http://www.ilmor.com/en/marine/performance/MV8-570.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.