Mercury Racing Unveils 540 Engine >

Mercury Racing Unveils 540 Engine

Notices

Mercury Racing Unveils 540 Engine

Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Here it is. More than 200 pounds lighter and available off-the-shelf right now. 30 horsepower more than the 540 as well. The higher RPM range (6000) lessens the torque load on those Bravos.

This also addresses Knot 4 Me's thirst for LS-based power.
what is the cost of the engine ?

thank's
mike
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abmotorman
I know I'm going to be on an island on this one but...how about a small block overhead cam Ford based offering? The numbers out of stock 5.0, 5.4 and stock blown applications are astonishing. No more pushrods! All aluminum.
when the ls series of gm engines would be less expensive and out perform it in every way, why bother...
Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Yeah, what if you could shave 200lbs or more each, have same reliability and better efficiency (every see Ford's heads)? The 1350 merc lost those goofy pushrods. Just not sure if most drives would like the 7K rpm range.
there are a few companies that will cnc cut away un needed material on a bbc block and you loose about145 lbs or so...would that may you happy
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lake rat Skater
Because the cast block is stronger and more suited for extreme use.
im not buying that, the pro touring guys are making around a 1000 ponies for their track cars with all oem ls stuff, including the alum blocks.... if they anodized the water passages i dont see a problem using them for marine apps
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! (And it's not the way the drives were assembled either.) Unless you have an incredibly heavy boat, the culprit is no further away that your throttle hand (or foot.)
but who wants to finesse the thing all the time to save the drives, i want to beat the living piss out of the boat, engines, drives, water, my passengers, etc. that's offshore boating in my book!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Yeah, but if I have 5 fat girls and feel like firewalling the throttle at every no wake zone, thats my perogative.

And FWIW, the drive "should" be able to take it. If I slide my foot off the clutch in a new vette I will bet that it wont break...
now how fat we talking? did you have to butter their hips to get em through the cabin door? lol personally i would have gone for 7 spinners and a couple hundred lbs of alcohol and ice
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by noli
apologies for the hijack, but who is a god builder of LSx engines?

read this thread you will learn everything you need to know about how serious an ls engine can be with all oem gm parts.... his last ls made 880 hp and 8150 ft lbs of tq @ 2800 rpms, the engine in this project will have even more hp and tq

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39584
Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
when the ls series of gm engines would be less expensive and out perform it in every way, why bother...
I'm not crapping on GM completely, I own 2. Hard to agree with your statement though. Seen way to many Fords Coyotes make big power because of their 4 valve head and cams design. Independent exhaust and intake cams with phasers will always have flatter power curves vs. singles. Valve train should run longer since the valve size and lifters are smaller and less weight. Less duration needed = more efficient.

If stuck with GM, then yes, the LS is a great option. The block is the only upgrade to the old 350 design in my mind. Plenty of good aftermarket heads to make up for any weakness there.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the Maxi 5 bl prop. But why have the water pickups on the thing above the prop centerline. What does that gain?
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
What is the cost of the engine?

Thanks,
Mike
Call Ilmor at (734) 456-3600 and ask for Jessica Gamarra or Ian Hawkins. MSRP is slightly less than a Merc 565, but no one pays MSRP.

While you're at it, maybe you could do the same research on the 520, 540 and 565 from Mercury?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.