Deep Impact To Build Seven Marine Outboard-Powered Models

Notices

Deep Impact To Build Seven Marine Outboard-Powered Models

Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,315 Posts
Default Deep Impact To Build Seven Marine Outboard-Powered Models

While there isn't a lot of information available yet these models with Seven Marine power, we'll keep track of them as their stories progress, http://speedonthewater.com/index.php...d=18&Itemid=15.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any reason those engines won't be as modification friendly as they are in CTS-V's? If they respond the same there's going to be some pretty damn quick CC's running around in a year or two.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett
Is there any reason those engines won't be as modification friendly as they are in CTS-V's? If they respond the same there's going to be some pretty damn quick CC's running around in a year or two.
Hey Crossett,

Long before anyone modifies the 557s, these engines should deliver some amazing performance. If you haven't already, check this out, http://speedonthewater.com/index.php...d=24&Itemid=31.

The boat I referenced was heavy and full. On a performance hull center console such as a Deep Impact, the potential for big performance numbers is strong.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crossett
I would think the only issues would be either the transmission or the lower end of the lower unit

and since it is pretty clear (especially on a site like this one) that even "normal sized" lower units and the parts inside can take huge horsepower there is no reason that issue can't be overcome and that leaves the transmission

on other sites the "haters" (for lack of an intelligent term) that insisted these would not work because of the horizontal engine mount or the inability of a transmission to take 557 hp have continued to look past the fact that it is ZF that is building the transmission for them and ZF of course is fallible as is any maker of mechanical products, but it is not like ZF is a slouch when it comes to marine transmissions (or any transmissions) and even more so it is not like ZF needs to put at risk their global name and reputation to attach themselves to a company that will probably be one of the smaller buyers of their product relative to the millions of other units they sell to a multitude of major companies

and usually manufacturers don't spec a product to be at the cusp of the performance level for that product when under normal operating conditions or even going slightly past them.....so I doubt that ZF said "ok we will build you a transmission, but if someone pops out of the water and does not throttle back and lands again at high RPMs it will probably fail, but here is it'.....why would they even need that headache

so I would think if you bumped your 7 marine up to 700 hp (which a CTSV can hit easily without touching internals) and you did not mash the sticks forward at every chance and you were not airborne at full RPM at every chance you could get a decent life out of the transmission

the Hennessey 700 HP CTSV is heads, air induction, valvetrain, cams, pully, heat exchanger, engine management, thermostat and gaskets

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/v700.html

I would say air induction, heat exchanger and engine management would be the hardest issues to work with because of making sure the first two fit under a cowling and the engine management because of needing to dyno and the difference between water to water cooling VS air to water cooling....but then again the 7 marine is closed loop cooling so that is probably more of a computer/engine management heat exchanger issue......so now will the Alfa Laval heat exchanger be "open" to being managed for an upgrade and that is the only component I can see in this "component" outboard package that might be performing right at the top of the performance levels and possibly not capable of taking a heavier modification and the associated heating/cooling from that

that is the one really nice thing about these engines IMO is they are a component package for the most part.....pretty much a GM engine, ZF transmission,, Alfa Laval cooling and Latham steering all MAJOR companies in their industry and as components if someone can find a way to make the weak component in the system handle the HP well most of the others probably already can at least in the addition of 150 or so HP range

and the people that own the company come from a racing, Mercury and Mercury racing background so they understand the concept of making a product that fits a warranty program and then at some point someone will want to get a little more out of it and it it holds together for them then you are golden and if it fails you "ask them to swing by the shop" and you perhaps even give them a small break on "replacement parts' and remind them that you voided the warranty and in exchange for a break on the replacement parts you take their broken parts and find the point of failure and repeat until one day you feel you have something that can take a significant upgrade in performance while still staying within a warranty package

build a 250hp OB.....someone takes it to 300.....find the issues under the "sponsorship" of them......take that package to 350 hp

build a 13500 inboard.....someone takes it to 1500......find the issues under "sponsorship" of them and then one day take it to 1650 hp

just my laymans take on the deal

Last edited by TexasVines; 02-28-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

They have developed different lowers for faster speeds and more hp. Look at the the Nortech 39 CC with 557s. Going to be a fast one when they get it dialed in.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a client with a Midnight Express and he is happy with his 3 engine SEVEN boat,he has owned it for about a yaer.I'm getting inquiries about a 4 engine scenario which I can insure with no problem.

I

Last edited by sy goldberg; 03-01-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
I have a client with a Midnight Express and he is happy with his 3 engine SEVEN boat,he has owned it for about a yaer.I'm getting inquiries about a 4 engine scenario which I can insure with no problem.

I
Cool