Bravo I lower water pickup nose cones >

Bravo I lower water pickup nose cones

Notices

Bravo I lower water pickup nose cones

Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo I lower water pickup nose cones

I am interested in putting nose cones on my Bravo I's with low water pickup. In pictures, I keep seeing hoses that attach to these. Are these for the outboard models, or are these for the Bravo models? If anyone has done this with bravo I's and low water pickup could you post a couple pictures? Thanks
Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

First of all, why add nose cones???? They will not do anything until 80-85mph+
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

Pretty simple. I plan on being in the 87-93 mph range.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

down the road I will be writing a report and working with Bobs Machine as using their nose cone installed on a Bravo I set up comparing to one with out a nose cone.. It will be closer to mid summer or a little past. More info to come down the road.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey there BUP, Not sure if you've seen these yet or not but the below links are of some pretty cool videos of some lower units running at high speeds.

http://www.performanceboats.com/pb-o...wer-drive.html
Here's a small list of other videos this guy has posted in the past while running at 100+ speed.
http://www.performanceboats.com/sear...rchid=11514154
Old 03-10-2014, 04:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
First of all, why add nose cones???? They will not do anything until 80-85mph+
It depends on the boat and setup really. That speed is a ballpark number.
My boat blows out without a nose cone at 72mph!
But you are right that unless it's blowing out there is probably no point.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

This is my experience with their nose cones, not knocking anyone, not selling any products, just my 2 cent on the topic..
I have two lowers with Bob's nose cones installed. One was installed by them the other I bought the nose cone from them and installed myself. My opinion: The one I purchased and installed was the the poorest casting I ever had the pleasure of working with. Fitment sucked, had to do a bunch of grinding and fitting. Gave them a call they stated that the lower was most likely the issue. It was not, tried the fit on two lowers and it was not at all close. Being stubborn I messaged it to were it fit. Epoxied it in place then stitch welded it the next day, for good measure. The casting is so poor that it took a bunch of filler to blend it in. More work that I would never do again.
The other unit that they did developed a small leak internally (1st season) it would push water under the filler they put in and lifted it, taking the paint off with it. I stripped the unit, plugged the unit and pressurized found 3 small pin holes in the casting. Had to drill them out and tig them closed, refill and finish the drive. These are fresh water units, no salt or brackish water.
Performance wise, they definitely improved my slip and handling. This is on a 38 Fountain Fever flat bottom. twin 650 hp 540's, 80 mph boat. Will I run them any more, no, they are for sale if anyone wants them. Going back to standard LWP bravo's, which also run in the 80's with a little more slip, which I rather have.
I have used the Hydromotive Nose cones in the past, excellent fit and finish. Matter of fact they fit so well I just welded them on and ground them down no filler to blend in, they were near perfect. Wish they made a low water pick-up version.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Bob nose cone was very low quality ? - Just asking thx. Bob the original owner does not own the company as it has sold many years ago. Bob use to do the Boat shows all the time plus was a wealth of info. Anyways Bob's Machine has one guy who does all their nose installs for them. They really do not do much for the bravo side of the coin as far as nose cone installs. Outboard side yes and that is a whole different animal compared to I/O's.

Bob's and I wanted to do a test as this was going to be a test using a stock boat 70 mph max with a bravo I to see the + and - with the install. I also was going to monitor the gear oil temps to see if adding a nose cone would change it on top off. Most companies and owners that I deal with have 85 mph and down on the speed side of the coin with their boats.

I was also going to use a SEI bravo lower vs OEM lower in the test with a nose cone and without as they will like it if any positive results would come about. I totally agree about how well a nose cone would work on one app but not the same on another. Even the install (the person installing the nose cone) could effect the results.

Also IMO weight, prop, x diamension, stepped bottom vs non step, trim angles and so on could or would play a different role of an install of a nose cone. Even the shape of the nose cone would make a difference. In the past the old saying was anything over 70 mph - a nose cone most likely would help - today it seems that saying has bumped it over 80 mph for nose cone installs. I think too many variables play into it and all depends on the install. Its all about changing the aspect ratio.

Why am I doing this story. One is for last 18 years I have been part of technician group that industry specific really not even known up here again if you do not work in this field you would have no idea what it is.. Also I write for a magazine called Marine Technician Today for the marine techs across the world. About 2000 copies go out every 3 months so 4 issues per year. It started a year ago. Why because marine techs are a becoming very thin across the US especially with the work ethnic of the kids today. If they can not text or play video games they want no part of this business. The Marine engine OEM's have taken a big notice of what's taking place since the great techs of yester year are long gone. I promise. Kind of like the skilled craftsmen of building - hand laying quality boats is also getting thinner and a lot older. The Marine engine manu's need people to fix their stuff properly if not their product is looked at as junk by the end user. Loss of sales is the end result. Sorry for the story book up here. Wow this was largest post up here and yes I am aging also.

Last edited by BUP; 03-11-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Not picking a fight, you are correct on all your points. But these two castings I have were poor examples of a quality products. Wish the old man was still in the game. I am a engineer by trade, might just be I am to dam picky, but I would be ashamed to release a product of that quality with my name on it. They better stick to the outboard lower market.

Bob nose cone was very low quality ? - Just asking thx. Bob the original owner does not own the company as it has sold many years ago. Bob use to do the Boat shows all the time plus was a wealth of info. Anyways Bob's Machine has one guy who does all their nose installs for them. They really do not do much for the bravo side of the coin as far as nose cone installs. Outboard side yes and that is a whole different animal compared to I/O's.