Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
whats out there for big hp n/a engines? 632ci and bigger >

whats out there for big hp n/a engines? 632ci and bigger

Notices

whats out there for big hp n/a engines? 632ci and bigger

Old 03-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Rat , you have been down there how long?? You need to get with the 3rd world program. Take the motor out of a pickup. the turbo off a diesel bus and slap that chit together.. Given the fact you probably only have counterfit ARP fasteners down there, just weld the heads to the block and your good to go.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
wtf big chief heads? no thanks, if i was gonna spend that kind of coin i would buy some chief engines.... from tommy
Old 03-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Rat , you have been down there how long?? You need to get with the 3rd world program. Take the motor out of a pickup. the turbo off a diesel bus and slap that chit together.. Given the fact you probably only have counterfit ARP fasteners down there, just weld the heads to the block and your good to go.
the machine shops here suck a big one... if i went diesel it would be mech inj 8.3 cummins, i would get someone to build me a pair set up how i wanted, and fly to the states and have it rigged there... then drive the mofo down here...

i would run the boat 7 days a week to and from my island hotel to cartagena...
Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
wtf big chief heads? no thanks, if i was gonna spend that kind of coin i would buy some chief engines.... from tommy
Agreed
Old 03-23-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
At 850 hp, you would be better served using a Whipple on a decent sized cubic inch engine rather than going NA. You could build a 598 c.i. engine, put a Whipple on top, run only a few psi of boost, run it on 87 octane and have it live for a VERY long time. You really don't even have to go that big with the C.I.. I only said 598 since you would have a ton left on the table if you ever wanted more. That would outlive an NA engine making over 1.3 hp/ci. I'm not saying that it can't be done because it certainly can. I'm just saying that the SC engine would outlive the NA engine, especially with a carb. With a carb, you have no protection that efi affords you. You would have to run 93 octane with the NA engine. I'm not sure what the fuel is like there, but if you didn't get 93 and thought you were, then you are in for a bad day if you go and beat on it. There is no reason that a 598 with a Whipple making 850-900 hp won't live for 350-400 without a problem. We have done it before.

Good luck with whatever way you choose to go.
Eddie
but then i would need a dyno to set up up and thats not an option down here... whipples are big coin too....

i would have shafiroff knock the compression down so i could run pump gas at 800+ ponies on their 632...
Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 598 Likes on 358 Posts

Are those scorpions carved out of GD gold?

The shafiroff engine looks like a good deal.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by korvetkeith

i like the 632, as the base engine comes with manley crank and rods, the smaller stroke base engines come with scat or other budget forged stuff, and you need to upgrade to the better quality stuff...
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by korvetkeith

no one is running big chief heads anymore, they are a ton of money and high maint, its got a blower for christ sakes who needs uber trick heads to make hp with a blower?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i agree,nobody puts big chief heads on a pleasure boat anymore,not cost effective and todays aftermarket conventional heads can make good power.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got your 632's, Brad Smith built with 50 hours on them. I can crate ship to Columbia via a Cigarette Café.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.