Notices

Long trip, Bad Bearing...

Old 04-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Cool boat! Glad you made it home safely.

Im with sydwayz though. That trailer needs help. The one pic with the boat hanging like 2ft past the bunks, is no good. And the bunks extending that far back, past the frame, is no good either.

My Myco, doesnt have any front bunks in a v shape. Just the big long 4x6 style or whatever, under the rear of the boat, and a couple 2x6 ones next to those, just closer to the keel. The problem i have, with no front bunks, is lining the boat up to pull it out of the water. Its fine with a long dock next to the ramp, and a buddy holding the rear of the boat where it needs to be, while i drive out. However, with no helper, or no dock next to the ramp, its a royal pita. Once on the trailer, it sits just fine, perfect tongue weight and all that. I hate to do it, but i think this summer I might fab up some kind of those plastic guide poles. I would like them to be like a quick disconnect, so I can remove them as soon as the boat is out of the water. Like on some kind of a pin, system. Just pull the pins, and throw the stupid looking poles in the back of the truck when I am done.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521325[/ATTACH]

Now this would be cool.
Attached Thumbnails Long trip, Bad Bearing...-trailerladderguides.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Cool boat! Glad you made it home safely.

Im with sydwayz though. That trailer needs help. The one pic with the boat hanging like 2ft past the bunks, is no good. And the bunks extending that far back, past the frame, is no good either.

My Myco, doesnt have any front bunks in a v shape. Just the big long 4x6 style or whatever, under the rear of the boat, and a couple 2x6 ones next to those, just closer to the keel. The problem i have, with no front bunks, is lining the boat up to pull it out of the water. Its fine with a long dock next to the ramp, and a buddy holding the rear of the boat where it needs to be, while i drive out. However, with no helper, or no dock next to the ramp, its a royal pita. Once on the trailer, it sits just fine, perfect tongue weight and all that. I hate to do it, but i think this summer I might fab up some kind of those plastic guide poles. I would like them to be like a quick disconnect, so I can remove them as soon as the boat is out of the water. Like on some kind of a pin, system. Just pull the pins, and throw the stupid looking poles in the back of the truck when I am done.
It's not hard to add the front bunks. I did it to my (POS) Rocket trailer several years ago.
All the parts are here:
http://www.championtrailers.com/
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It's not hard to add the front bunks. I did it to my (POS) Rocket trailer several years ago.
All the parts are here:
http://www.championtrailers.com/
I've thought of that. Problem around here is we have a few ramps that are really short. So you can't go to deep with the trailer, and they don't allow "power loading". My buddies with 38 ft boats have had really hard times at those ramps. Trying to drag a 12k lb boat up the front bunk boards with the winch doesn't work well. Everything from snapped straps, bent winch stands, to a buddy getting a winch handle to the eye and a trip to the ER!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

I've thought of that. Problem around here is we have a few ramps that are really short. So you can't go to deep with the trailer, and they don't allow "power loading". My buddies with 38 ft boats have had really hard times at those ramps. Trying to drag a 12k lb boat up the front bunk boards with the winch doesn't work well. Everything from snapped straps, bent winch stands, to a buddy getting a winch handle to the eye and a trip to the ER!
Option 1:

Option 2:
Powerloading = bad.
Hitting the trailer at speed = impressive!

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-02-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Matt...the trailer on my Fountain only had two long bunks...that being the case, you might not have too bad a problem moving the boat forward a bit. You might want to compensate for the steps by adding wood blocks to the bunks...that should ostensibly even out the pressure on the hull and prevent hooking, and give you a better "guide" as to where the boat will go when you put it back on the trailer. I'd say conservatively, you'd want to move that at least a foot forward.
That's a good idea thanks. The carpet needs replaced anyways. I agree with the fact it does need moved up. I had the same problem with my 311. It sat back about 8 inches off the trailer and I had very little tongue weight. When I went over bridges on the freeway it bounced all around. I moved it up 8 inches and it road so much smoother.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

, to a buddy getting a winch handle to the eye and a trip to the ER!
Sonic700 never looked so good!!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I played with many different positions on my trailer and it makes a world of difference when you move it to the right position. My trailer has a similar set up as yours and the boat now sits a foot forward from the end of the bunks. When I first got it, the boat sat with an inch or two off the bunks and I had very little tongue weight. Now I have a few hundred pounds and it tows awesome! I know these are different boats but this should give you an idea.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521355[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Long trip, Bad Bearing...-img_1351.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Powerloading = bad.
Hitting the trailer at speed = impressive!

Just don't 'miss', that winch and associated framework can leave some nice 'beauty marks' on the front of the boat!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I played with many different positions on my trailer and it makes a world of difference when you move it to the right position. My trailer has a similar set up as yours and the boat now sits a foot forward from the end of the bunks. When I first got it, the boat sat with an inch or two off the bunks and I had very little tongue weight. Now I have a few hundred pounds and it tows awesome! I know these are different boats but this should give you an idea.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521355[/ATTACH]
Hey Tom, I definitely want to move it up so that it all sits on the bunks, the only thing that scares me is the first step will come off the bunk. As soon as I can add to it I'll be moving it forward. I assume launching is cake seeing they need to float off, but without any front bunks I'm sure loading will be a chore. Not sure what I'll do in a pinch if there's no docks say late or early in the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.