Notices

Trailer title issues

Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 4,923 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Mike- I went through the same thing many years ago with a jet ski trailer, and then again with the trailer for my Powerquest, which I bought in MI. In both cases, I went through a Currency Exchange, and they issued me a "homemade trailer" title. This is going back quite a few years, and things may have changed in the interim, but its definitely worth a try.
Thats what I~ve always done with trailers that had no title. Several of my current trailers have "homemade" titles.
For the boat plan on taking a trip to Michigan one of these days and registering my current trailer there.
Michigan you pay $300 for a LIFETIME plate here in this Commie state they want $150 EVERY year. only issue I have is they want the weight, not sure how I can prove that. Maybe Kattanna can shed some light on that?
Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Mike- I went through the same thing many years ago with a jet ski trailer, and then again with the trailer for my Powerquest, which I bought in MI. In both cases, I went through a Currency Exchange, and they issued me a "homemade trailer" title. This is going back quite a few years, and things may have changed in the interim, but its definitely worth a try.
This is exactly what I would suggest that you do. These Illinois clowns in the DMV are a joke. Call them up and say that you are building a trailer what documentation do you need to get this registered. You may need to generate some traceability of components used but I'm sure that will not be a stumbling block to get this done.

Then to add insult to injury. I purchased a boat and trailer in Illinois in August 2013. I just got the title for the boat last week-- that is how far backed the state is. I've been stopped by the Michigan State Police and DNR about the registrations. What I did was copy and carry along all of the email correspondence - bill of sale to show that I've made a good faith effort getting the documentation thru the state of Illinois. All of this satisfied them. I guess to some this is common knowledge.

Good Luck - and safe boating

3pointstar
Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem with my Fountain trailer from Michigan, they do not title trailers in that state. When I got back to Jersey all I had was a bill of sale. Motor vehicle would not accept it. As lick would have it my friend knew the manager in the MV office and made a phone call and they titled my Manning triple axle trailer as being homemade. Good luck
Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

I just registered a trailer in VA last week via the original MSO...
...from 1976
...handwritten.

The VIN was 6 digits.

I would have been easier to have bought a junk trailer with a title and registered that trailer. I hate to say that; but it's either that or go with homemade, which is often a PITA as well. In VA, we have trailer inspections. To do home made, the trailer would have to be weighed & certified as above or below the line that requires yearly inspections.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

http://staabagency.com
Titled, registered and plates in my hand in 24 hours. And before a bunch of people jump on the "that's not legal" train this is how I got my trailer back from being impounded by mass state police.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New laws for homemade title. Must have receipts for the axles.... And they want detailed pics if the construction process. I guess state police have to inspect it and if they dong feel you made it in your garage they flag you. Just called that place in Maine.... They made it sound easy and informed it it was perfectly legal.... Cost to register for 5 years $88!!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

I had to have notarized bill of sale, copy of registration and copy of prev owners license proving he was a resident out of state.

I had all but the copy of prev owners license, one title place prick wouldn't do it, but then I found another and flashed my notarized bill of sale for boat that had prev owners address and notary from va and acted like I had my crap together and then changed the subject and started flirting with the slightly older woman... She was cute too!, lol didn't hurt as much.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 4,923 Likes on 1,390 Posts

That Staab agency whats that all about.. can I register the trailer there and stop getting raped by Illinois?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
That Staab agency whats that all about.. can I register the trailer there and stop getting raped by Illinois?
Yes. I did it for my daughters Checkmate trailer. MD sucks too.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

I will never register a trailer in taxachusetts again. Even if it was the same price, it's way easier to call them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.