Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Finally cured my boating related issue... >

Finally cured my boating related issue...

Notices

Finally cured my boating related issue...

Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finally cured my boating related issue...

Specifically, I had the opportunity to splash the boat I bought last fall!

Took it out and ran on a lake near the house, best of 63.6 on GPS for the day. Not terrible for 20mph winds and me trying to get to know the boat. 496 Mag and a 23 pitch Laser. Didn't even think to toss the brand new Mirage Plus on.

Now, with temps expected in the low 20's tonight and tomorrow, will pulling the blue plugs and bumping the starter get me through this cold snap, or do I need to go further backward into the maddening realm of winter?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be fine. It is expected to be below freezing just overnight. It would take a few days of sustained freezing to do any damage. But since you have a 496, use the airpump to blow the water out, and just trim the lower unit down so the water drains out. I too was out yesterday, I hit the Detroit River. It was pretty choppy out there.......... I don't understand how those guys walleye fishing do it. They go out in boats half the size of mine in winds like we had yesterday. It was fun blowing past them all as they struggled to stay inside of their bass boats while I motored through comfortably in my seat....
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

1) You just TOTALLY redefined this thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ace-wench.html
It's not often you see a wench on a winch.

2) Use the air-pump actuator to open the drains on the engine. Do not pull the blue plugs until after you do this.

3) Hang two 100W light bulbs in the engine compartment. Trouble lights will work.
I like and use these:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521950[/ATTACH]

(Using one will work, but I like using two in case one burns out.)
Just clip them on the lower lip of your engine compartment surround; and aim them away from anything directly.

You will be fine.
Attached Thumbnails Finally cured my boating related issue...-2012-07-27_171900_sl-302_300ppi_1000px.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-14-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
You should be fine. It is expected to be below freezing just overnight. It would take a few days of sustained freezing to do any damage. But since you have a 496, use the airpump to blow the water out, and just trim the lower unit down so the water drains out. I too was out yesterday, I hit the Detroit River. It was pretty choppy out there.......... I don't understand how those guys walleye fishing do it. They go out in boats half the size of mine in winds like we had yesterday. It was fun blowing past them all as they struggled to stay inside of their bass boats while I motored through comfortably in my seat....
The air actuator does not blow the water out. It does pressurize the water system to force/replace the water.
It opens two actuators that allow the water to drain out.

BIG difference.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Registered

LOL @ the wench thread.... Totally forgot about that, but I guess that pic is fitting for it.

I already pulled the plugs before using the air assisted drain, just because I was upside down in the engine compartment cleaning and was like "lookie here! I'm gonna be proactive!" Guess I'll toss a trouble light in and pull the hoses off the risers.

In other news, brand new Kodiak disc brakes are on the way, because the stock ones were toast. I have a ton of Lucas Red N Tacky #2, can I use that for the bearings? Kodiak advises against petroleum based lube, stating to use silicone based... I thought axle lube was soap based. The only lubes I've used for bearings are lithium and moly. And spit, but that's a different application altogether.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Lucas red n tacky without issue for a few years now..
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

And she is a Cute wench at that... I think we have a product we could sell here... "Wench on a Winch"
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good thing you don't live in Wisconsin by me... I heard on the radio this morning they had to rescue 10 fishermen last evening when the ice moved back in and blocked the boat landing... their boats are still stuck in the river...
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Registered

The Cute wench was pleased with the fact that we were running about 35mph and she could still enjoy her cappuccino.... She said "this boat rides waaaay smoother than the XLT"...I quickly replied "just think how much smoother a 28' would be! You could drink coffee from a mug instead of a container with a lid! Make it at home and save money, be Eco-friendly...."
Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
These guys in the smaller boats have a death wish or else they are very hungry. I've been at St. Joe Michigan watching from the pier guys(2-3 in the boat) in 14 aluminum boat with a trolling motor head out in good 3-4ft waves.

Safe Boating

3pointstar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.