Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat hauling - Does it get any better than $4/mile? >

Boat hauling - Does it get any better than $4/mile?

Notices

Boat hauling - Does it get any better than $4/mile?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boat hauling - Does it get any better than $4/mile?

Shopping around to find a hauler to bring my Formula 382 from Maryland to NC (500 miles). Hauler will have to supply the trailer. So far, I have two bids at $2180 and $2050, both from full-time licensed and insured companies. Am I likely to find a deal that's significantly better?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

That doesn't sound like a bad deal especially considering they are supplying the trailer. I've never paid to have a boat hauled but with licensing and insurance and fuel sky high right now, doesn't seem terrible.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 106 Posts

Sounds like a fair price to me. Trust me the boat haulers are not getting rich its really tough out there.

Anyone doing it cheap WILL go out of business not even a question, and will more then likely inconvenience you or damage your boat. Its not worth trying to save a cent.

Your on the right track shopping legit, insured, DOT, legal companies.

You can also check www.seawisehauling.com they are some of the best In the business!

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

I had to move my 353 FasTech from Las Vegas to Buffalo, NY (2300 miles) in 2009 and had great luck using USHIP. With USHIP, you DON'T necesarily want to choose the lowest bid on your transport, you want to go with the best rated company that also offers you a fair price. Take the time to read the feedback that other customers have left for the transporters that have bid on your shipment and check their DOT credentials and insurance etc...

The guy I ended up hiring thru USHIP (craneman4) had all positive feedback in his reviews, worked alone with his 3/4 ton pick-up truck and had his DOT#'s and proper insurance. He is not a broker... HE is the one who picked-up, hauled and delivered my boat. It didn't sit in a yard somewhere waiting while someone tried to find someone else to haul it. That's what I was looking for, someone who would be responsible for the transportation of my boat from start to finish.

I ended up paying $2,240.00 (aprox. $1.00 per mile) which I thought was a very fair price... Other bids came in a few hundred cheaper, but I went with craneman4 for the reasons stated. For my own peace of mind, I also had my insurance agent bind my own coverage on the boat in case anything went wrong on the way here... That way, I felt like I had double protection for the long journey home.

The thing that complicates your shipment, is the fact that THEY have to supply the trailer. There's obviously more overhead for the transporter in that situation, so the bids that you've received seem OK considering. It can't hurt to post it on uship (it's free) to see where your other bids stand, but you're not going to get as many bids on your shipment because it requires someone who specializes in boat transportation that has access to or owns a large hydraulic trailer to be able to move a big boat like that. Also, it might not hurt to call a few big marinas on either end of your transport to see who they use to move their boats... maybe you'll get a good lead.

Good luck with your shipment!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

I posted the job on UShip and got the first two bids almost immediately. Since then, I got one from WeHaulBoats.com for $1,100. I'm doing the due diligence on all the bids. So far, they have all come back with good references.

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 167 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Shopping around to find a hauler to bring my Formula 382 from Maryland to NC (500 miles). Hauler will have to supply the trailer. So far, I have two bids at $2180 and $2050, both from full-time licensed and insured companies. Am I likely to find a deal that's significantly better?
That does seem a little high even without a trailer. I had two boats moved over 2k miles each for the same price as your quote. If you could find a trailer, as stated above you could have it done for around a dollar a mile.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I do not think for the short distance and area you have to haul that you will find it less then $2 per mile with them supplying the trailer. Keeping in mind they are supplying the trailer that means they will be spending some time loading and unloading.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the same we haul boat from NJ, they will do a top notch job. They hauled for me and were awesome to deal with. I can get you his cell of you want. Also he runs a SVL Phantom in the OPA. Stand up guy.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

That's the guy. Best offer so far, and a go-fast guy to boot...
Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get his cell number from SVL and contact him direct... I'm sure he'll knock a little off since your quote included USHIP's middleman markup, they get a healthy %!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.