Notices

drowning article - good read!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
sorry to hijack the thread with that, was just online looking for news. They found my friends daughters body . . . . Still looking for my other friends son and one other, thanks for you thoughts . . . .
Prayers your way.

Great article OP.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hijack the thread with that, was just online looking for news. They found my friends daughters body . . . . Still looking for my other friends son and one other, thanks for you thoughts . . . .
That is so tragic, prayers for the missing and especially for those grieving
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
Dave, I'm really sorry to hear about that !! My thoughts & prayers are with all involved...

I'm obviously not the "op" but in no way did you hijack anything, it was very timely and just validates what the thread is all about.. And not to take a "rabbit trail" but I don't know anybody around here who has given any more to this board than you have.. I know you've helped me from time to time throughout the years with little things here & there and I've seen countless times where you've gone well out of your way to help many many others as well, so know that your appreciated and that you have the prayers of many !!

Scott

thanks Scott and thanks everyone for you thoughts. my friends daughter had her cousin with her for the day she was sixteen, they both had pfd's on when they found them but the water temp is right around forty. they postponed the remaining search at dusk but will resume in the morning. they were experienced boaters and within their limits, I was told the boat (newer 21 Tracker) had engine/transom strike damage possibly hit a log. my other friends son is still missing.

really, thanks everyone. tough day . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

thanks Scott and thanks everyone for you thoughts. my friends daughter had her cousin with her for the day she was sixteen, they both had pfd's on when they found them but the water temp is right around forty. they postponed the remaining search at dusk but will resume in the morning. they were experienced boaters and within their limits, I was told the boat (newer 21 Tracker) had engine/transom strike damage possibly hit a log. my other friends son is still missing.
really, thanks everyone. tough day . . .
Yes, it's all over the news now. The girls did have life vests on. I'm sorry that lives are being lost already. I'm sorry that you lost friends. I wonder if the fishing boat fatal on St. Clair hit a log too. There has to be tons of debris flushing through the lakes now.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Since safety is a theme in this thread, this month's Boating magazine has a great article on the proper contents of a ditch bag. I probably would modify it somewhat but it really gets you thinking about something we really don't spend too much time on. I'm not sure if it would have helped GD's people, but it couldn't have hurt. I always felt that you never conquered the water, the best day was that you break even with it and come home safe, once in a while it gets the upper hand but never the other way. Some of those critical items in a ditch bag might make a difference some day.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Bump for early season.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Drownproof yourself and your family . Yes it works , I taught my children this when they were very young . Unfortunately this will not help much in cold water . http://www.drownproofing.com/

http://youtu.be/JFHClnhrKE8
This technique could be helpful in certain situations, but I am not comfortable calling this "Drownproofing". It won't work in heavy chop or waves, because you won't get your mouth high enough with this technique to ensure a water free inhalation of air.

Michael