drowning article - good read!

Notices

drowning article - good read!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
Default drowning article - good read!

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

Came across this and I believe its something every boater should read and take time to comprehend. Something it seems like we all deal with every year...

Let's all have a great 2014 season!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Good stuff to keep posting. I witnessed this once when a friend who was not a good swimmer couldn't reach his floating cushion. He kept swimming and pushing it away and I saw the panicked look but no other sign that he was in trouble. I immediately jumped in and shoved the cushion into his arms and showed him how to leap and grab it while swimming. I always watch him when he is in the water over his head and without a vest on. We really need to watch the kids and not so good swimmers. That article is absolutely true. You will not know that the victim is in trouble until he disappears.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great article.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Great read. Seen it in several different versions.

When I lived on the lake a 15 year old kid drowned on Lake Lanier in Coctail Cove one weekend. My wife and I always say it can happen quickly - so try this... When you are at a tie up with a group of people hide under your swim platform. Since everyone is having a great time and everyone is engaged in conversation nobody ever realizes your whereabouts. Everybody always says "I always pay attention" but my wife and I did this to each other literally dozens of times. After you sit under the swim platform for 10 minutes. Emerge and let your wife know you are dead. It is harsh reality but its true. It will make you think a little after nobody says wheres Keith for 10-15 minutes. You or anybody that you are hanging out with could be at the bottom.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that is a good and thought provoking article.

How many times have i heard on the 11 oclock news about somebody was missing in one of Michigans local lakes.

Wannabe
Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post, we often have a lot of kids on our beach and it's amazing how oblivious their parents are sometimes
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Read something similar last year. Truly changedy strategy when watching the water. Directly, how I watch my kids as well as others.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6 years ago this summer, three friends and I were standing in the surf and no one had been drinking or doing anything else to be impaired in any way. Just a perfectly beautiful July day and four of us guys were taking in the sun up to our knees in the water. One of our friends, an EXCELLENT swimmer, decided to take a swim and out he went into the waves about 20 yards out. 10 minutes later, he was dead. We never heard a scream, a cry for help, not a peep from him; there were no flailing arms, no waving hands, nothing. Just a limp body that we pulled out of the water and spent the next 45 minutes on the sand trying to revive waiting for paramedics to arrive while our wives stood there on the beach screaming in horror. My friend was 42 and left behind 2 beautiful girls and a wife. It is a day that has been permanently etched in my brain.

Moral of the story... this article is a good one. Drowning in reality is nothing like it is on TV.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one of the best and most informative articles I have read. Thanks for posting. Hopefully by getting people educated we can save more lives just by knowing what to look for.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:22 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

posted here before, very timely reminder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.